Making the EVGA 500W quiet!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Darth Santa Fe

Making the EVGA 500W quiet!

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:06 pm

I built a new computer about 2 months ago with a goal of making a decent gaming system with ultra low noise on a budget. My setup has 4 case fans running at very low speed for intake and exhaust, a tower cooler with a 120mm fan also running at low speed, and an MSI video card with their super quiet dual fan heatsink. And yet, my computer was still buzzy with the sound of a constant strong airflow! :x

So I stopped all the fans ones by one to see what was making the noise, and it was the EVGA 500W power supply! I knew it was a pretty cheap model and wouldn't have a great fan, but this was nuts. Based on the frequency of the noise, the fan had to be running at a minimum 1,200RPM, which is unnecessarily fast considering it was all cold air blowing out. Took the fan out and powered it up on its own, and it had to be a 2,500RPM model! Buzzy motor and terrible rough sound quality from the airflow!

So I bought a Nexus standard 120mm fan. Only problem was, the Nexus fan's operation is somewhat poor when blowing air upward and the sleeve bearing was making a loud rubbing noise, so I pulled the fan apart to see what was up. Turns out, the ring magnet isn't pressed into the hub all the way. This makes it work better blowing down or to the sides, but it offers no support to the blades when blowing air up and puts excessive drag on the bearing. So I pressed it in the rest of the way, and the fan now has excellent performance blowing upward and no longer has that rubbing noise from the bearing!

With that finished, I spliced the EVGA connector onto the Nexus fan cable and installed it with the rubber pin mounts, making sure to also install the air baffle in the correct position. The results?

My EVGA power supply is now quiet as can be, and still runs cool enough since all intake is cool air from beneath the case! And with the slight modification to the magnet, the fan starts 100% of the time and works absolutely great! So now I have an ultra quiet power supply that makes no more noise than SPCR's top reviewed models, and my computer overall now makes less noise than the electrical whine from my junky printer. :D
In conclusion? If your power supply is noisy but runs cool, and you don't care about the warranty, modify it with a good fan!

quest_for_silence

Re: Making the EVGA 500W quiet!

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks for sharing and enjoy it! :wink:

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Mon May 02, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of trying much the same thing with my Antec EA650 Platinum, one of the very first ones which they acknowledged were loud. Its long out of warranty now though. Now sure what I should look at for fan though.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon May 02, 2016 8:26 am

BrianF wrote:Now sure what I should look at for fan though.
Two different versions of a Yate Loon ball bearing fan were fitted to this PSU, the earlier one with a maximum speed of 2300 rpm and the later one a 1700 rpm unit. A potential replacement you could consider is the Scythe Kama Flow2 SP1225FDB12M 1400 rpm FDB bearing 120mm fan. As your power supply is Platinum spec it should be able to cope with the slightly lower speed fan and the noise difference would be significant.