between these 2, which PS is quieter...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Dr. Smith

between these 2, which PS is quieter...

Post by Dr. Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:20 am

Atect Truepower 380 (packages w/ sonata case) or the fortron FSP300-60PN (120mm fan) Note the PN version not the non-pf version that people say is noisier.

I have two systems: one for general useage, and the other is a HTPC. The HTPC needs to be quiet....so I was just wondering which of these two should go in there?

it will be an antec sonata case w/ the factory 120mm case fan and a sk-7 w/ panaflo on the HS. So from what I hear, the Truepower would be the loudest thing in that setup.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:19 pm

The fortron, hands down. Not even close actually.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: between these 2, which PS is quieter...

Post by lenny » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:41 pm

Dr. Smith wrote:Atect Truepower 380 (packages w/ sonata case) or the fortron FSP300-60PN (120mm fan) Note the PN version not the non-pf version that people say is noisier.
Do you mean "not the PF version that people say is noisier"?

Anyway, if you don't need the extra power of the Antec (for HTPC you probably don't) the Fortron is quieter. Otherwise, consider replacing the 80mm in the Antec with a Panaflo.

There's been some reports of the Fortron shipping with ball bearing instead of sleeve bearing fans. Check the Fortron 120mm thread for more details. Just look for the thread with 200+ posts.

You'd lose the fan throttling capability of the Antec if you swap PSU, so you'd either have to invest in a fan controller or wire your fan to run at 5V. The stock 120mm fan is not particularly quiet.