Power Supply Fan Orientation/Dust Control

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Dazrin
Friend of SPCR

Power Supply Fan Orientation/Dust Control

Post by Dazrin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I am working on building a new system using a Silverstone KL07, Fractal Design Define C, or Corsair 400Q case. All of these have a bottom intake with a filter for the PSU but only the Define C has the filter accessible from the front of the case. Due to the arrangement of my office, I will not have easy access to the back of the case to clean the filter so I am considering not using the bottom intake but instead flipping the PSU over to draw air from inside the case. Given that the Silverstone and the Corsair have separate HD/PSU compartments and a full front filter anyway, is there any downside to drawing air from the front of the case rather than the bottom of the case in this situation? Basically the old Antec P180 configuration but with the PSU fan on top instead of on a riser. I could add a dedicated fan for the lower chamber if needed but am not planning on it right now. I will have 2 HDDs in the lower chamber too, but that should be all.

Olle P

Re: Power Supply Fan Orientation/Dust Control

Post by Olle P » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Given that there's some distance between the top of the PSU and compartment divider I see no problem with that arrangement.
I use the front for all intake myself, using a P183 case with additional dust filtering and a CP850 PSU.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:28 am

Dazrin wrote:Given that the Silverstone and the Corsair have separate HD/PSU compartments and a full front filter anyway, is there any downside to drawing air from the front of the case rather than the bottom of the case in this situation?

I didn't get you... with reference to what? The dust buildup? The whole case airflow? The PSU? The HDDs?

As a side note, with 2 HDDs consider also the Antec Solo II.

Dazrin
Friend of SPCR

Post by Dazrin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks Olle!
quest_for_silence wrote:
Dazrin wrote:Given that the Silverstone and the Corsair have separate HD/PSU compartments and a full front filter anyway, is there any downside to drawing air from the front of the case rather than the bottom of the case in this situation?

I didn't get you... with reference to what? The dust buildup? The whole case airflow? The PSU? The HDDs?

As a side note, with 2 HDDs consider also the Antec Solo II.
Dust is part of it but I am more concerned with making sure the power supply is cooled enough in this arrangement. There will be a little more pressure drop (finer filter on front and air must go around the HDDs first) so I am not sure if the PSU fan alone is enough. Another option I may still consider is modding whatever case I get to have front access to the bottom filter but until I get it in hand I don't know how easy that will be.

The Solo II hadn't really crossed my mind since they are much older and therefore not as commonly seen anymore. Looking at them now, Newegg and Amazon both list them at over $130. The others are all less than $100 which is more comfortable to me.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Dazrin wrote:I am more concerned with making sure the power supply is cooled enough in this arrangement

Any good quality PSU just won't care about that.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:43 am

Dazrin wrote:... I am more concerned with making sure the power supply is cooled enough in this arrangement.
The difference in PSU cooling is minimal. PSUs are typically designed to be fully functional at full load with ~55C intake air temperature. You're not likely ever going to get close to such an extreme condition.

Most computer builders (myself included) have PSUs that can deliver way more power than actually required, so the overhead for quiet PSU cooling under maximum load is definitely there.