What is the worst thing that can happen if a PSU overheats ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Mojzekinohokker

What is the worst thing that can happen if a PSU overheats ?

Post by Mojzekinohokker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:31 am

I'm using an Antec CP850 PSU in a P183 case. I've recently changed the 9 years old original fan to a Scythe Grand Flex PWM. I was hoping to get near silence but it's audiable even from 5 meters away in a dead silent room.
My recently upgraded System is very low powered.

Ryzen 5 2400G ( 65 TDP )
No VGA
No optical drive
Only SSDs

I tought to replace the fan on the PSU again but this time to a Quiet low RPM case fan and let it run constantly on 5V.
Honestly I don't really care if the PSU dies but I'm wondering if it could damage any other components or even cathing fire.

What are your thoughts ?

CA_Steve

Re: What is the worst thing that can happen if a PSU overhea

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:41 am

Before you replace the Grand Flex, maybe you could reconnect it's original cabling and hook it up to the mobo for control. See what the fan RPM is really doing/see if you can set up a low rpm profile. As you mentioned, it's a low wattage environment and any amount of airflow will keep the PSU cool.

As for overheating: if the PSU did overheat, it should go into a thermal shutdown/turn off. So, you'd lose any data on the fly.

Mojzekinohokker

Post by Mojzekinohokker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 am

Thank you for the advice ! I will try that for sure :D
Accourding the manual the Antec CP850 doesn't have any temerature protection.
Are you sure that it would shut down before doing any damage in case of overheating ?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:32 am

Its a very old design PSU, that still work fine, i own two, one is still on a build that i rarely use, but still performs decently, the second i gave to a friend and we swap the fan to Noctua industrial since it had the rpm range that the orginal fan had, at idle isnt bad but once you put some load is very audible.

I always try to have similar specs fans when replacing, not always turns out for the better. But in your case, i would try another fan, that has slightly less rpms specs but i wouldnt go the 5v route. For example, we exchanged it for a Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM, so i would step down to a Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM, but if im going to 2k rpms, i would simply go with an Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, it will be quieter than what i installed for sure, but weather it reaches the levels you want of quietness is something that i cant tell you, also you are investing on a old PSU, there are much quieter options that will be more efficient and generate less heat, hell you can even go fanless with your current setup with something like PicoPSU or HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX or even a Corsair RM550x, its your money and you are the only one that has to live with your decision, so its up to you.

Not sure if you did, but on the CP850 you have to re plug the wiring, its not the standard PWM layout, so your PSU might not be regulating the rpms on your new fan, something that will not cost you anything to check.