Which Voltage rail used by cpu's?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

DanceMan

Which Voltage rail used by cpu's?

Post by DanceMan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:36 pm

I've only recently learned that on current motherboards, the cpu is actually using voltage from the +12V rail, and not the 3.3V rail, but older cpu's used the 5V or 3.3V rails. Does anyone know the exact source for each class of cpu or a resource where I could find the info?
I'd llike to learn for early Duron, K6II 500, socket 370 Coppermines, PII's, and Pentium MMX.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:41 am

I think all of those older CPUs you list will have mobos that generate the CPU VCore from the +5V power rail.

The move to using the +12V rail was triggered by the P4 design guide/requirements so all (I think) P4 mobos use +12V and possibly a very few other Pentium mobos that have been designed since the P4 hit the streets.

It seems ALL Athlon 64 mobos will use the +12V: most earlier Athlon (socket A) mobos have used +5V with a reasonable number of recent exceptions (like my KT6) to prove the rule.

Beyond these generalisations there is no simple source for you to reference: it is a feature of mobo design and the standard mobo publications don't highlight VCore regulation methods.