Seasonic Super Silencer 400 - blue twisted wire?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Post Reply
Lilla
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:02 pm

Seasonic Super Silencer 400 - blue twisted wire?

Post by Lilla » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:24 pm

Seasonic Super Silencer 400 (SS400AGX) - blue twisted wire?

This is my first build, so this is probably a stupid newbie question, but I need to know for sure... what is the blue twisted wire for?

The function of the blue twisted wire is not explained on the box, in the booklet, or in the SPCR review. Unless I missed it somewhere?

On ABXzone someone with d875pbzlk mobo and Antec 430W TruePower posted this:
I have Vreg monitoring the PSU fan...

OK, since the blue twisted wire on the SS400AGX has a three pin connector, and the "Vreg fan" connector on the motherboard has three pins, it looks like I am supposed to connect them. Is correct?

Assuming the answer to the above is Yes. Is connecting this required or optional?

Should I connect it before powering the machine on for the first time? Or wait until I see that the basics are working first?

I'm getting close to ready to give power for the first time, I pretty scared.

Lilla

MGP
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:32 pm

Post by MGP » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:42 pm

I believe the 3-pin wire with blue and black colors with you PSU is used to monitor the PSU's fan RPM. Plugging it into your motherboard is the way to go!

Lilla
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:02 pm

Post by Lilla » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:06 pm

MGP wrote:I believe the 3-pin wire with blue and black colors with you PSU is used to monitor the PSU's fan RPM. Plugging it into your motherboard is the way to go!
Thanks for confirming. I'll hook it up.

After I posted I looked at the box again and on the side it says "additional connectors: +12V for P4, auxilary power & fan monitor. So I guess that's the documentation, pretty cryptic for a newbie.

One more question, what is the AUX (6 pin) cable on SS400AGX for?
Is it for SATA drives, or what?

Thanks for your help,
Lilla

AndrewC
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:16 pm
Location: Mobile, AL

Post by AndrewC » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:16 pm

To my knowledge the AUX cable was for old AT systems but I could be mistaken.

Lilla
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:02 pm

Post by Lilla » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:35 pm

I have no place for a AUX 6 pin connector on my d875pbzlk motherboard, but I was curious as to what it was for. I did a google and found this explanation...

Subject: Re: PSU. Spare 6 pin connector?
Newsgroups: alt.computer
Date: 2003-09-03 06:19:03 PST

The "12V" connector is the 4 pin squarish-looking connector, and it's sole
purpose is to supply more 12V current to the motherboard. It is the primary basis of the ATX12V specification. If this connector is present on your ATX supply, you have an "ATX 12V" power supply.

The flat 6 pin connector you described is called the "auxilliary" connector,
and it's job is to supply a higher current 3.3V and 5V output to the system. It can appear on either an ATX or ATX12V compliant supply.

Some boards may require one, or the other, or possibly both.

MGP
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:32 pm

Post by MGP » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:39 am

My P4, i850E-based mobo uses the AUX power connector. Although I'm not exactly sure why it's used, I do think that I remember a thread on this topic somewhere in the forums.

chylld
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:45 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by chylld » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:12 am

I was wondering what on earth that flat one was.

Thanks for the explanation Lilla :)

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: SC

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:07 am

MGP wrote:My P4, i850E-based mobo uses the AUX power connector. Although I'm not exactly sure why it's used, I do think that I remember a thread on this topic somewhere in the forums.
850E uses RDRAM, right? I think the extra power is needed for RDRAM.

Gnerma
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:32 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA USA

Post by Gnerma » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:34 am

Trip wrote:850E uses RDRAM, right? I think the extra power is needed for RDRAM.
i850E was Intel's last Rambus chipset. I used to have an Abit TH7II (i850) board which took all 3 power connectors. Man if nothing else that board could sure tear through a memtest86 pass quick :lol: A lot of boards seem to need the extra 12v connector. Including a lot of Nforce2 boards and all MPX boards (dual AMD).

Post Reply