Experiences from Aopen DVD-1648/AAP

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Doomer

Experiences from Aopen DVD-1648/AAP

Post by Doomer » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:07 am

I purchased this drive because it was ranked most quiet in the german c't magazine. However I am quite disappointed with it.

It only offers five speed modes:12/24/32/40/48x. In 12x it is quiet. There is only one problem. Very soon after setting the speed to lower levels it forgets it and then goes to full throttle. Even when using the periodic setting of CD-ROM Tool, the drive spins up to maximum every now and then. This is very annoying and I'll probably try to return this product.

This Aopen was supposed to replace the Asus CD-S400 that supported speed settings from 4x to 40x in 1x intervals and never forgot them. So now I'm looking a new DVD-drive. Anybody with a Asus E-616 or 616P2(Quietrack)? How do they react to speed settings?

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:28 am

I'm sorry you had bad luck. I haven't had time to test my unit with speed settings yet.

Did you Cd Bremse (CD Throttle) or another utility to set the speed?

AOpen 1648/AAP is the quietest at 1x dvd playback there is.

At beyond 8x DVD speed all drives are very noisy.

I'm afraid there is no 'quiet' drive at those speeds.

And sorry, I have no first hand experience with Asus Quietrack drives. Somebody in this forum did like it a lot though.

Doomer

Post by Doomer » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:34 am

I used Naiobrin CD-Rom tool and Nero Drivespeed with the same results.

I understand that there are no quiet drives at those speeds, and that's why I would like a DVD drive that support low CD/DVD speeds. Guess I have just to order a Asus from somewhere and hope it goes as low as my previous unit and stays that way.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:38 am

I have a DVD-E616P1. I don't have it on my current comp, but IIRC the min. speed was 6xCLV, and 8xCAV. It had only a few settings [like 6 or 8], not like the old Asus CD-ROMs used to have (I had the 50x which IIRC had 4x-50x).

What I don't like is that it seems to have only one speed for DVDs. Or at least all my old progs showed only 16x. I'll try it with a newer version.

Halcyon, please test your unit. I've been thinking about getting the AOpen drive, and what Doomer just posted doesn't sound nice.

Cheers,

Jan

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:05 am

I tested my AOpen DVD1648/AAP (fw 1.07) with CD Bremse 1.37 (installed, rebooted, inserted dvd, detected speed settings):

I cannot lock the read speed of the AOpen 1648 with CD Bremse.

Even though it appears that I could lock it to 3x dvd speed, it does not work.

When reading, the drive speeds up to 13x and beyond.

So, it appears that if one wants a silent dvd rom drive with individual speed step control, then AOpen DVD1648/AAP is not the drive.

It's only the most quiet at 1x dvd movie playback. I have not found a way to lock it to this speed with dvd-rom discs.

In the c't magazine 8/2004 test, the least noisy 16x read mode unit was: LG GDR-8126B (49,7 dBA).

Unfortunately, I do not know whether its read speed can be controlled with software utilities.

If you find a really silent drive, with full dvd speed control with Nero Drive Speed / CD bremse, then please post your findings.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:39 am

Jan Kivar wrote:What I don't like is that it seems to have only one speed for DVDs. Or at least all my old progs showed only 16x. I'll try it with a newer version.
Ok, with CD Bremse 1.37, I have:
6xCLV, 8x/18x/26x/28x/30x/34x/40x/44x/48xCAV for CDs, but only 16x for DVDs...

Cheers,

Jan