where can I get Nidec Samsung Spinpoints in Canada?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

steelcitysi

where can I get Nidec Samsung Spinpoints in Canada?

Post by steelcitysi » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:43 am

I came across a thread where Microcentre would do guarantee Nidecs. Anybody have success in Canada?

rei

Post by rei » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:40 pm

in edmonton, memory express and honor comp (mirror.memoryexpress.net and honorcomp.com) carry samsung, with stock being random at honor. me only carries the 80gb and the $60 80gb i bought there recently was nidec motor.

either location of honor had 160gb -jvc- motors and only sata even though their online pricelist lists all models. it's random what they actually have.

you have no way of knowing what motor and they don't guarantee it, only way you have to find it is physically going to store and checking underbelly.

i picked up a 2mb cache 120gb ata samsung a few months ago. i have to eat 25% restocking fee on a 160gb sata since i didn't check yesterday. in any case, they only have 1 at either location.

SignoDX

Post by SignoDX » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:58 pm

In Vancouver:
I bought 2 40GB Spinpoints for a client from Netlink / NCIX.com 2 days ago and they were both Nidecs, a pleasant surprise, although the client doesn't care much about noise. I'm not sure about other drives, but if you send them an email to ask, they're usually pretty quick to reply. I don't know whether they guarantee it will be a Nidec or not, its always safest to physically look at the drive and see.

rei

Post by rei » Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 am

Happy to report I've received good service from the folks at Frontier PC (http://www.frontierpc.com) in Vancouver. I've ordered across the Internet (second order now, first order to get the superlative Seasonic power supply) to ship to Alberta instead of in-person but email correspondence with a sales person named Gabe there has been pleasant.

He's confirmed first-hand that they have received a shipment of 160GB NIDEC motor drives but recommends asking for them specifically with some info on how to identify them (via shipping notes) or call in before ordering to confirm.

We'll see if I get them as NIDEC and not JVC by this time tomorrow. Will let you know.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed May 04, 2005 12:39 pm

NCIX will not cherry-pick Nidecs, I asked in person. I'm glad to hear that they're mainly selling Nidecs though.

rei

Post by rei » Fri May 06, 2005 6:55 am

I got my cherry-picked Nidec Samsung today!

rei

Post by rei » Fri May 06, 2005 8:13 pm

I've removed the Nexus DiskTwin I was using on the Samsung to rubberize it against vibration and cool since it was potentiallywarm being underneath the dvdburner in the 5.25" bay and riding right up against the PSU and mess of PSU wires.

even direct mounted in the top 3.5" bay w/o any grommets/rubber or anything fancy (just screws) the default noise setting on the 1614n is quite acceptable.

(of this case, someone else's pics here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... light=v523)

seek/write/use noise is only slightly audible and i may not bother putting in a floppy in order to boot and change AAM. glee!

(was previously using 2mb cache 120gb one, the 8mb cache seems slightly faster, but it could just be placebo)

okay, i'm just needlessly fawning now.