Cool running 250GB with least possible vibration

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zenith

Cool running 250GB with least possible vibration

Post by zenith » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:56 pm

I need to find a replacement for my Samsung Spinpoint 160GB drive. I think it's a P80, it's model number is SP1614C. The damn thing vibrates far too much and makes my case generate odd woowoo-noise. Can't describe it, I just can't stand it. It's mounted with rubber grommets in an Antec SLK3000B. I have a second drive, a Seagate 7200.7 160GB and there is huge difference between those drives. For performance reasons I need two drives in my system. With only the Seagate installed vibration noise was never an issue.

So what I'm looking for is a fairly quiet 250GB drive, fewest possible platters that generates least possible vibration. Heat is another issue, sou mounting any drives in suspension of foam is out of question. S.M.A.R.T readings from my drives show that the samsung is about 43C but the Seagate stays at around 50C, but I've seen it hit almost 58C. Not sure if I should trust those readings, touch by hand clearly shows that the Samsung is warmer. I have a 5V 12cm fan at the back in addition to the 12cm in a Seasonic PSU. System temperature stays at around 42-44C.

Maybe I should buy another Seagate? But I'm really not sure if it's best to go for a 7200.7 or one of the newer 7200.8/7200.9 drives.

edit: Forgot to mention that I need to buy a SATA drive.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Cool running 250GB with least possible vibration

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:37 pm

zenith wrote:... Heat is another issue, so mounting any drives in suspension or foam is out of question....
This is not a smart exclusion. Check through the users' gallery of HDD suspensions in the Gallery Forum. The best for you will be one thayt places the drives just behind the intake vent. Add a front 120mm Nexus fan (or similar) at 5~7V. The drive temps will drop at least 5C from where it is now. You will not hear the fan over the drives, but both seek and vibration noise from both drives will be history. Just ask around, the difference between suspension and none is night and day in many cases.

zenith

Post by zenith » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 pm

Oki, thanks for clearing it up. Hmm.. maybe i should just try to follow your advice and place one of the drives on foam. I do have a Nexus fan just waiting to be used. No space for both of them but I'll browse through the gallery.

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:14 pm

And if I really want to change 2 pcs of Samsung 120 Gb sata drive into ONE 200 / 250 Gb HDD? :?:

What do you propose? One Samsung is with JVC motor, so noise is important to me... :)

BR!