Current 3.5" external enclosure of choice?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IdontexistM8

Current 3.5" external enclosure of choice?

Post by IdontexistM8 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:34 pm

I've got to buy two new drive enclosures, probably before Xmas, as I've found something bizarre going on noisewise with a couple I already have.

To cut a long story...I discovered a couple of weeks back my single Samsung 400gb IDE drive making some very odd noises when it was turned on in one of these enclosures. It was slightly buzzy and high pitched and I naturally thought it was the drive. Being not one to take risks with drives I RMA-ed it.

While waiting for a replacement I juggled some other drives around and stuck one in this enclosure. Low and behold, the same noise again..then I tried the other one of the same make and yep..exactly the same! I double checked with a WD drive and both still caused this noise.

So it seemed like I'd wasted time and money RMA-ing that drive but it leaves me needing a couple of replacement enclosures.

I'm in the UK, obviously it's got to be quiet, preferably without fan and with aluminium casing. I'll use USB and Firewire.

I'm looking at the Vantec NexStar3, a bit pricey but it might be worth it. I do already have one of these

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=44DN

It's not bad, just as long as you take the fan out. But I'm not sure whether to buy more.

So can anyone help out with a quick recommendation?

Also, any clues to why those enclosures were causing extra drive noise? It seemed so peculiar that both exhibited it and after long term usage.

Anyway if you can help out...thanks.

grosskur

Post by grosskur » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm

I have a 2.5" NexStar 3 and really like it. For 3.5", I went with the Antec MX-1. It was well-reviewed on SPCR in March 2007. It's not silent, but it's very quiet and provides great cooling. Should be able to get it for under $50 USD now.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:36 am

It's SATA only and I've already got two..but thanks anyway.

cbloom

Post by cbloom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:49 am

Most external enclosures are actually noise amplifiers. You hard-mount a drive to an aluminum box which is generally poorly made, and it causes the entire thing to vibrate in open air. A lot of them are also drive heaters. In fact most enclosures are worse for noise and temperature than just setting a bare drive on a piece of foam.

The Antec MX-1 got a good review here, but quality control on it seems really bad or something because lots of people bought them and reported horrible noise coming out of them.

Other recommended enclosures are the CoolerMaster X-Craft and the Apricorn EZ-Bus.

It would be sweet to get some more official SPCR comparisons.

My two ideas at the moment :

1. Use a Scythe Quiet Drive as an external enclosure box. If you put in a disk that runs cool this should be okay. You need to hook up power and cabling.

2. Get a larger enclosure, maybe a big 3.5 or a 5.25, and instead of screwing in the drive, sandwich it in with gelpacks and rubber. The problem I'm having here is finding a good quality larger enclosure that's solid aluminum and well sealed. (for my purposes I want SATA to SATA, most of the good 5.25 enclosures are IDE to USB)

cbloom

Post by cbloom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:59 am

Another option would be to get a dual bay enclosure and use it to suspend one drive the normal elastic cord way. You'd probably have to replace the fan with a better one.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 am

cbloom wrote:Another option would be to get a dual bay enclosure and use it to suspend one drive the normal elastic cord way. You'd probably have to replace the fan with a better one.
That's something I had considered but you sort of lose the element of portability.

As for the rest, well they are much of a muchness because they are made by a handful of oems. As I've not had to buy an IDE enclosure for a couple of years I'd hoped they'd improved.

The Antec for sata seemed to be the way forward, I'm aware of the fan issues posted here. I think the one's I've got are reasonable, could be better, could be worse. Shame they never released an IDE version.

While I'm here the best tip I've found is to use the foam packing they usually come in as a base. Definately dampens down the vibration noise which is invariably worse than any actual idle, and in some cases seek, noise.

Still haven't decided so I'll browse on..