WD6400AAKS, changing AAM in EXT3 format?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

WD6400AAKS, changing AAM in EXT3 format?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:24 am

ok i bought this WD6400AAKS to use in my NMT (Networked Media Tank), and i have to format it in EXT3 format. It's formatted, but now i don't know if it's already in Silent mode in AAM.

I tried connecting this drive in eSATA and SATA on a PC, but i couldn't change the AAM, i used SysTool and HD Tuner (i think it's the name of the program).

I tried a special compiled AAM changer for the NMT and it didn't worked either...

Do you think i could connect that drive on a Linux OS (Ubuntu, Debian...) and use a software in there to change the AAM?

here's a screenshot of SpeedFan of the hard disk (while it was connected to the PC):

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:53 am

in linux open a terminal and type "sudo hdparm -M 128 /dev/sdXX" just remember to replace the XX with the relevant letter and number. the 128 is quiet mode and i believe 254 is max perfomance mode.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:12 am

Hdparm is built-in most Linux? or do i have to download it from the Download tool before?

sorry i don't really use Linux, and Ubuntu and other Linux is just screwed up on my TV now (i think it doesn't like ATI video cards) i need to find someone who have Linux installed.

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:51 am

the hdparm tool is builtin in linux. just run a ubuntu live cd and use it from there. no need to install anything to your hd.

edit: be carefull when using hdparm, as it aalows you to brick your hd if you aren't carefull. of particular note in this case it's important to use "M" and not "m"

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:09 am

Should i still be able to set the AAM on the drive even when using eSATA?

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:23 am

i have never used e-sata, but i believe it should work. Also i just remembered ubcd, a live cd witch has all kinds of tools, inclding hd utils http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

edit: i believe the ibm tool works with most hd's

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:26 pm

ok i tried with Ubuntu (7.10) in LiveCD mode, it worked fine.

i typed "sdb3" as it's the drive number, and it said:
-m bad/missing multmode-count value (0..64)
what does it mean?

i connected it via standard SATA

edit: oh right, i checked the commands and there's a "-m" and a "-M", the "-M" is the good one.

ok it's done, thanks :)