Is this high pitch whistle from my Western Digital HDDs?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NewSc2

Is this high pitch whistle from my Western Digital HDDs?

Post by NewSc2 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:00 am

I just finished silencing all the fans on my computer (PSU, CPU, case fans, etc.)

However, right now I'm hearing this high pitched whistle from my computer. It's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, but it doesn't really sound like a vibration. Of course, since it's so hard to pinpoint, I've been thinking it might be a general vibration of my case from the HDD's.

Does the hard drive vibration everybody talks about make a high-pitched whir? I have 2 Western Digital HDD's, 1 120gb and 1 80gb.

Edit: Every once in a while I hear a more distinct, low-pitched hum that sounds more like a hard drive vibration. I'm just confused as to what hard drive vibration sounds like and what this high pitch noise might be.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:40 am

Try pulling the power plugs from the drives when the computer is off, then turn it on. If you don't hear the whistle/whine, the drives are making the racket.

NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:55 pm

K, I'm sure it's the drives.

Is it the drive spinning that's high pitched, or the drive's vibrations on the case that's making the high pitched noise?

If it's vibrations then I can deal with that with mods, but if it's the spinning, it looks like I might start looking around for other drives.

Putz

Post by Putz » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:11 pm

It's both, but the mechanically-transferred portion of it (the "vibrations" you're talking about) is much less significant in most cases. Of course, there are exceptions, and in any case, suspension wouldn't hurt your cause. Most people will agree, though, that the best way to deal with it is to buy a Samsung :)