Momentus Question

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gandalf

Momentus Question

Post by Gandalf » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:53 am

As you know there's two versions, 2mb cache and 8mb cache. There's only a 7USD difference in the drives, still, I'm wondering whether the extra cache is worth it, at the cost of consuming more power (and 7 bucks :P )..

Anyone?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:08 pm

AFAIK the difference in cache memory doesn't affect the power consumption or power dissipation. The difference you mention yield a performance increase, though.

My advice to you is to go for the higher cached one.

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:16 pm

I have a Momentus 40GB with the 2MB cache and it has this annoying high pitch whine - you have been warned!

dimva

Post by dimva » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:54 pm

I have a Samsung with an 8mb cache and there's this annoying high pitched whine!

The cache doesn't have anything to do with noise. However you can get a nice boost on burst transfer rates with an 8mb cache.

DuckSeason

Post by DuckSeason » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:11 am

I probably have the very same Seagate Momentus 40G drive as Chuck Chan (the ST94019A) and - as per a couple of my other posts to this effect - I would also warn any potential buyers off them. I wouldn't be this vehement about it if Seagate or Acer had bothered with a decent reply but Acer didn't even take the trouble to respond to three emails. My gut feeling is that the Momentus line will be gone very soon because Seagate are getting such a drubbing in the press - and here.