Where to get EAR hdd grommets in Europe?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

idealcrash

Where to get EAR hdd grommets in Europe?

Post by idealcrash » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:15 pm

Can't find these things anywhere, any online store in europe sells these? Can't even find stores in the US to import from. :? A store that also sells the correct size shoulder bolts would be ideal.

Thanks. :)

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:46 pm

You can get it from http://www.mcmaster.com -- search for item number 9311K138 - They may ship it to EU - But remember you will have to make sure you case can house this... If you are using LIAN LI case and trying to fit this in the pull out HDD tray good luck - impossible :cry: -- Also, you need longer screws to take care of the additional length required for the thickness of the grommet! I have done extensive research for shoulder bolt but nobody carry's them - You want spec per EARS http://www.earsc.com/cmsframe.asp?SID=6 ... echniques/ - click on link SB-4102! I would suggest that you get 6/32 thread with atleast 4 mm greater than the standard length with #2 philips head and some washers!

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:59 pm

Yes, this is for a Lian Li, but it's for the 5.25" bays, don't know if it will fit, maybe it will with some brute force. And I know about your drama trying to fit these grommets in the hdd cage so I won't try that. :wink: Is McMaster the only place in the world to get these things? Talk about hard to find items. :roll: I don't see any info about international shipping anywhere on their site, although there is an option to 'type in' another country name in the order form, but I'm not hitting the 'place order' button without knowing how much I'll be charged for shipping. Guess I'll have to email them first. Do they also carry the correct shoulder bolts? They seem to have the biggest selection of bits and pieces on earth, but I don't have a clue how to start looking for those, their site is huge!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:47 am

idealcrash wrote:I don't see any info about international shipping anywhere on their site, although there is an option to 'type in' another country name in the order form, but I'm not hitting the 'place order' button without knowing how much I'll be charged for shipping. Guess I'll have to email them first.
They do ship internationally, but like with their domestic shipping, they won't qote a cost. This has been an ongoing issue with Mcmaster (search the forums) but they seem to charge a quite reasonable amount, from all the posts I've seen.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:59 am

Yes, this is for a Lian Li, but it's for the 5.25" bays, don't know if it will fit, maybe it will with some brute force
Very tough! Tried to do this for my DVD+RW drive but was too difficult :cry: Gave Up! Maybe you will be lucky. The 5.25" bay is very close fit in LIAN LI and there is NO allowance for grommet of any sort! And remember the screws for 5.25 inch bay like DVD, CD drives etc DOES NOT confirm to EAR shoulder bolt! The spec for ALL 5.25 bay is M3 X 0.5 pitch with 8 mm as length - So if you are using grommet you may want to buy M3 x 0.5 pitch and atleast 10mm length! Welcome to the world of screws :D McMaster part number is 92000A120

I finally solved my HDD grommet problem in my LIAN LI- I removed the pull out tray and got the MF-20 drive mounting kits as seen here http://www.dansdata.com/lldrivemounts.htm and used EAR grommet!

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:03 pm

Thanks for the info Ralf, I'll go ahead and place the order.

PCGUY, thank you so much for pin-pointing me to the exact location of the grommets and screws. I plan on using these on Smart Drives, so that drive mounting kit you got wouldn't help much. Even if the grommets don't fit, I'm sure I'll find good use for them in the future.

I see they only sell the screws in packs of 100. Looks like I'm gonna have to get 100 hdd grommets to round things up, and 'just in case'. They'll compliment my bag of 100+ EAR fan isolators. :roll:

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:15 pm

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:27 pm

No hdd grommets on that page..

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:11 am

Do you think these would do?

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:08 am

Tigr wrote:Do you think these would do?
Those come very close, but seeing as they're made to fit standard fan screws they're probably too big to fit in hdd mounting holes.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:58 am

idealcrash wrote:
Tigr wrote:Do you think these would do?
Those come very close, but seeing as they're made to fit standard fan screws they're probably too big to fit in hdd mounting holes.
How many do you want?

Email me and we'll talk.

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:34 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:How many do you want?

Email me and we'll talk.
I don't follow, what are you trying to sell me, Ralf? AcousticFan gel mounts? If you are, I'm not interested in those. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:23 pm

idealcrash wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:How many do you want?

Email me and we'll talk.
I don't follow, what are you trying to sell me, Ralf? AcousticFan gel mounts? If you are, I'm not interested in those. :)
I'm trying to help you get some EAR grommets for way cheaper than you can probably do it through McMaster.

It means email me and we'll talk. I have EAR grommets in both sizes and I'll send you a set at my cost.

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:57 pm

Ralf, you have mail. :)