Samsung SP VS Seagate 7200.7 & No Vibes

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tylerbcrawford

Samsung SP VS Seagate 7200.7 & No Vibes

Post by tylerbcrawford » Mon May 17, 2004 2:26 pm

Hey there. I was wondering how the SpinPoint alone would compare to a 7200.7 & No Vibes. I can get a Seagate and a No Vibes for just slightly more than a SpinPoint. Which one would be quieter?

hero

Post by hero » Mon May 17, 2004 3:00 pm

I currently own a 40GB Spinpoint and an 80GB 7200.7.

The Samsung drive is so incredible quiet that all I can hear from two feet away with the case door off is a very very faint crunching type sound during seek...like somebody stepping on a potato chip on the other side of the house. With the door on and the case under a desk and maybe some light dampening material, it would no doubt be silent.

Only problem for me is that the 7200.7 has an 8MB cache and performs so much better that I'm torn as to whether or not to swap back. The Samsung is also much hotter than the Seagate. In any case, that doesn't concern the question.

So, my opinion, you can't get a drive any more quiet than a Samsung is stock.

Putz

Post by Putz » Mon May 17, 2004 3:18 pm

tylerbcrawford,

Do both drives have 8MB of cache? If so, the Samung should perform better and be quieter than the Seagate in a NoVibes. It will have ever-so-slightly more idle whine, but the seeks should be quieter. The Samsung's warranty is also longer, at three years versus one. Plus, you can suspend the Samsung for really cheap if it's still not quiet enough (using bungee cords or whatever else you can rig up -- search the forums for ideas).

The Samsung would be my preference, and most others' here, I think.

Welcome to SPCR!