does the samsung serial ata drives accept regular power?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

does the samsung serial ata drives accept regular power?

Post by dan » Thu May 20, 2004 5:31 pm

hi,
i know that the seagate serial ata drives use the serial power, which may require you buy the serial power cable adapter, thanks to newegg.

but what about the samsung serial ata devices? do they require teh special serial ata, and serial adapter for those like me who don't have one?

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Thu May 20, 2004 5:45 pm

what about the samsung serial ata devices? do they require teh special serial ata, and serial adapter for those like me who don't have one?
Yes

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu May 20, 2004 11:19 pm

YMMV but my Samsung drive came bundled with a power adaptor.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 21, 2004 6:16 am

And if the drive doesn't come with an adapter, you can buy them at any Bust Buy or CompUSSR for about $3.

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 21, 2004 1:28 pm

hi,
gosh i got so many replies i don't know where to start (both on this thread and others), but if you buy the serial ata samsung sp80 from newegg, OEM not retail, does it come with the serial ata?

yeah compusa charges like $10 for the adapter :(
that's on top of a $10 price premium for serial ata HD.

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Fri May 21, 2004 2:19 pm

OEM DOES NOT come with cable - I bought mine from zipzoomfly.com

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 21, 2004 2:53 pm

no power adapter cable?
i'm wondering if serial ata is worth it!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri May 21, 2004 5:01 pm

Keep in mind that some people have had issues installing and booting their OS off the SATA controller on the mainboards (depends on chipset/drivers) and many people have also reported that they cannot reliably get SMART temperature readings off their SATA SpinPoints.

After all, a little, "cablegami," with an IDE ribbon cable would look great and work fine, if done right. If you don't want to deal with the fuss, rounded IDE cables don't impede air flow as badly as you may think it does.

Finally, some people have reported not being able to adjust the AAM setting on their SATA drives, and they come from the factory set for performance. Of course, I do not know if you have any intentions to switch AAM to quiet mode, but this is another issue to keep in mind. The standard ATA drives are simple to adjust AAM, easy to read SMART temps on and guaranteed to install and boot just fine.

Anyway, both versions come in 8MB cached varieties; it's not like the 2MB version is the only (standard/parallel) ATA version.

-Ed

NeilBlanchard

NewEgg includes a SATA power adapter

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri May 21, 2004 6:38 pm

Hello:

NewEgg has included a SATA power adapter with each of the Samsung SATA drives that I have purchased in the last few months -- at no charge!

I like using SATA drives -- the 8MB cache makes them a bit faster (and in theory the 150MB SATA beats the 133MB IDE), and you should get getter data integrity -- highspeed IDE connections are pushing the envelope for the *timing* of the data, since 40 (or so) pieces have to arrive at the end of the cable within a narrow time window. SATA has no such issues since the data arrives in a stream.

Using SATA drives (at least in a RAID array) does require you to (at least temporarily) install a floppy drive -- since bluudy MS has not seen fit to has the Windows installer "look" to a CD-ROM instead of a floppy for the driver! :evil: Don't they realize what a pain this is?

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 21, 2004 7:27 pm

NewEgg has included a SATA power adapter with each of the Samsung SATA drives that I have purchased in the last few months -- at no charge!

that's facinating b/c the seagate serial ata clearly states "power adapter required, not included"

if i do buy a new HD i plan on getting a spinpoint, and i plan on getting it from newegg.

i've not made up my mind whether it should be PATA or SATA. i do not have a native on board SATA, i would need a PCI add-on card.