Barracuda IV noisiest component.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lifecycle

Barracuda IV noisiest component.

Post by Lifecycle » Wed May 26, 2004 1:37 am

After fooling myself a few months ago that I had my PC down to nice, quiet noise levels, I've now realised that I've truly been bitten by the silent PC bug, as I've gone full circle and am now back to where I started - the hard drive! I mean, my PC is pretty quiet but it's not silent... yet! :twisted:

My current setup is a Seagate Barracuda IV 60Gb sitting in a 5.25" drive bay mounted in a Zalman heatpipe cooler. This was/is a noticable improvement from bare mounting the drive, but isn't enough.

If I let the HDD power down, I am shocked at how quiet my machine now is. It sits next to me on the desk, around 2 feet away and without the HDD on, all I can hear is a (very) faint whisper of air from the PSU. It's quite clear that the disk is by far the noisiest component I have.

I've identified three main points of noise that I want to address:

1) Mechanical noise. There is a distinct mid-range buzzing noise during idle. Not loud, not that annoying but noticable. Worse, seeks are still quite audible. I'd like to eliminate any idle (motor) noise and also seeks if possible.

2) Vibration. The Zalman mount, while a great improvement on bare mounting, is still clearly allowing some vibration from the drive unit to be conducted through to the case, where it seems to have a more low frequency humm or rumble. This is probably the worst offender.

3) Location. For various (physical) reasons, having my PC next to me on the desk is best for me. However, because the Zalman mount needs a 5.25" bay and these bays (like most cases) are at the top of the case, this means that the drive is mounted almost directly on the same level as my ears. I also think this works with the 5.25" drive cage to highlight the vibrational noise I hear.

What I'm looking for is a solution that will fix all of these issues on way or the other. I don't think suspension is sufficient because as I understand it, although it would most likely fix the vibration, it won't eliminate the mechanical noise. Hence, I think I am looking at some kind of enclosure here? Any suggestions?[/list]

je_zza

Post by je_zza » Wed May 26, 2004 2:55 am

I have my 80GB Baccacuda V suspended in the 5 inch drive bays with some elastic cord that cost me $1 from the climbing shop. I have a 80mm case fan at 5v running over it and it is cooled enough. I think this is possibly the quietest you are ever going to get your hdd.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Wed May 26, 2004 4:09 am

You could try a smart drive 2002 to try and muffle that last trace of noise.
Or failing that, you could go the 2.5" hard drive option if you don't mind a bit of a drop in performance (both will probably cost the same).

Lifecycle

Post by Lifecycle » Wed May 26, 2004 6:33 am

Thanks for the replies.

Is something like a smart drive going to get rid of that last bit of noise or am I just hitting the bottom end here? i.e. moving parts = noise, at some level or another?

je_zza: can you till hear motor noise (e.g. idle/seeks) from your HDD in that setup?

I really like the (almost total) silence of my PC without the HDD on...!

Lifecycle

Post by Lifecycle » Thu May 27, 2004 3:00 am

I think I have found a fairly decent compromise.

I found some foam in one of my junk boxes, and so stripped out the bottom HDD cage from my case (which I didn't use anyway) and, keeping my Barracuda in the Zalman heatpipe cooler, moved it out of the drive bay and down onto the foam at the bottom of the case.

The result is a small but definite improvement from drive being mounted in a 5.25" bay. The biggest gains are near elimination of the low frequency vibrational noise. Seeks seem a little bit more noticable but oddly, have a slightly softer sound.

Also, moving it to the bottom of the case means its no longer on direct ear-level, which helps a lot.

Another big advantage is that it now sits directly in front of the primary (passive) air intake and so its well-cooled. Previously, after a couple of hours of use, the heatpipes would be warm-hot. Now, they're barely warm as fresh air is being pulled over them. Hence, I have a (good) passively cooled HDD and it's quieter! 8)

My conclusion: foam is good. :D

I may try suspension at some point but for now, I've made gains in both noise and temperature from foam, so I am very happy.

Now, that Nexus PSU is still making a bit of noise...