Pre-maid vibration reduction packages?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

QQuxa

Pre-maid vibration reduction packages?

Post by QQuxa » Wed May 26, 2004 11:36 pm

Hey,

I recently installed two additional 7200rpm drives to my system, which makes up for total of 3 7200rpm drives - and the vibration is killing me! Appearently internal frequency of vibrations of drives differs a bit, so it goes like vvvvvVVVVRRRRRUUUUUMmmmmmmmmm..........vvvvvvvvvVVVRRRUUUUUUUMMMmmmmmm............. all the time!

While i'd love to make something myself, I don't quite have time! So are there any shops to buy stuff like that? Not very expensive preferebly.

p.s. high pitch noise isn't that important.. vibrations are most important thing.

Thanks!

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Thu May 27, 2004 6:31 am

I use the roofers tape / aluminum flashing tape recommended by Gooserider: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=7074. I had the same problem and this fixed it. Ideally you should kill the sound closer to the source by mounting w/ grommets or on sorbothane or by alphonos hard drive suspension trick. There should be a sticky about all these methods at the top of this forum. Read it.

I don't have the colored HTML handy for the official welcome but doubtless someone who does will drop by shortly. :D

//edit: Also, I neglected to mention Acoustipack but the other methods are much cheaper. For 1 drive you might use No Vibes or Silent drive, but for three...well I guess you could buy 3 of those but it'll take 3 5.25 bays, I think.