HDD silencer with fan mount at SVC

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mr_pickles

HDD silencer with fan mount at SVC

Post by mr_pickles » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:41 pm

Anyone seen/used this?

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/hddsil-22.html

I've hesitated to use any silencing techniques that would result in having to stick my HD in a 5" bay because it would lose being in the airstream of the intake fans for cooling.

This one has a cut out and screw holes to mount an 80mm fan on the bottom which seems interesting. While it would mean an extra fan in my case I could undervolt the intake fan that was cooling the HD before even further since it is no longer obstructed. The main issue I see with this is that the fan on this would be in a restricted air flow area. There would be a floppy drive in between the air intake path and this.

Thoughts?

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:21 pm

I personally wouldn't think it's not worth the trouble...especially considering you can homebrew something just as effective for fractions of the cost.

I've found that the best way to silence my WD 80GB on a cost/time consumption/availability factor is to use electrical outlet insulation. I can get a pack with 2 sheets at Home Depot for less than a dollar. Just use it to pad the screw seats and where the head meets the drive. It's dirt cheap and actually works pretty well...wish I had a digicam to show you, but if does do a good job on my WD.

hero

Post by hero » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:53 pm

Just by the looks, I'd say this looks great. Pluses for me:

1. Mounting a L1A at 5V to keep the HD cool.

2. Moving the HD to the 5.25 means you can remove the hard drive cage to allow more open airflow from the front intake

3. Should be effective, especially in conjunction with dampening it in the 5.25 bay with the technique described by Interitus or with plain grommets.

It's pretty cheap at $15. I might try it in my next rig.