Is it normal when a samsung 1614c vibrates?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Erikro

Is it normal when a samsung 1614c vibrates?

Post by Erikro » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:35 am

I have it for 3 weeks and it was nice and quiet, but since yesterday there is a light resonating / vibrating noice. If i put my hand to the drive i feel it vibrating. The noice i high not hard but i feel high pressure to my ears. I want to push the computer further and further away.

Is that vibrating noice normal?

Erikro

Post by Erikro » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:29 pm

so many 1614 has been sold and nobody want to touch it :cry:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:44 pm

All HDDs vibrate some. Maybe you just never really examined it before. Human hearing / perception changes...

Yesterday, I installed a standalone external HDD into my network. The HDD in it is a Samsung 80G. It is very quiet and the box has reasonably soft rubber feet, but when I had it sitting on my desk, I could feel / hear the vibes resonating the desktop.

The install is in the space between ground & 2nd floor, accessed from a closet downstairs, where I have network cables running to a T100 network box. I simply placed the external HDD on the "floor" of the space, thinking that enclosed as it was in wood studs, filberglass insulation and gysum board, the vibration would not be a factor.

Wrong. :roll:

When I powered the external HDD up, the entire ceiling in that are started humming. You could hear it from another room, and even from upstairs. Something about the way resonances travel in the bldg.

I ended up hanging the thing from one of the floor joists using good old clothing elastic. Now it is utterly silent, and I have 80G of PC-free backup/shared storage in the network. :)

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:22 am

Worth looking at this thread for external use of a Samsung.

Whether Samsungs vibrate more than other drives I couldn't tell you..all I know is that mine vibrates more than my external Iomega drive.

So it is definitely an issue.

gbohn

Re: Is it normal when a samsung 1614c vibrates?

Post by gbohn » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:00 am

Erikro wrote:I have it for 3 weeks and it was nice and quiet, but since yesterday there is a light resonating / vibrating noice. If i put my hand to the drive i feel it vibrating. The noice i high not hard but i feel high pressure to my ears. I want to push the computer further and further away.

I have my SP1614C out of the system at the moment, as it seems very balanced (the drive doesn't vibrate much at all when I gently lift it up while idling).

Of the course the bad news is why I have it out of the case. It developed three 'bad clusters' in a 26 GB file. (I thought it was supposed to automatically switch to using spare sectors (using the drives internal firmware), but this doesn't seem to have been the case.

I tried the Samsung Hutil 1.19 program, but it doesn't see the drive on my Promise SATA150 TX4 (Non-Raid) PCI SATA controller. So, I took it to a borrowed system (with Intel SATA) to run HUTIL.

At last count, it decided SMART status was o.k., and was 'pondering' a read surface analysis (in the same spot) for the last hour or so...

-Greg Bohn

IdontexistM8

Re: Is it normal when a samsung 1614c vibrates?

Post by IdontexistM8 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:11 am

gbohn wrote:
Erikro wrote:I have it for 3 weeks and it was nice and quiet, but since yesterday there is a light resonating / vibrating noice. If i put my hand to the drive i feel it vibrating. The noice i high not hard but i feel high pressure to my ears. I want to push the computer further and further away.

I have my SP1614C out of the system at the moment, as it seems very balanced (the drive doesn't vibrate much at all when I gently lift it up while idling).

Of the course the bad news is why I have it out of the case. It developed three 'bad clusters' in a 26 GB file. (I thought it was supposed to automatically switch to using spare sectors (using the drives internal firmware), but this doesn't seem to have been the case.

I tried the Samsung Hutil 1.19 program, but it doesn't see the drive on my Promise SATA150 TX4 (Non-Raid) PCI SATA controller. So, I took it to a borrowed system (with Intel SATA) to run HUTIL.

At last count, it decided SMART status was o.k., and was 'pondering' a read surface analysis (in the same spot) for the last hour or so...

-Greg Bohn
Apologies for going slightly OT but are there any apps I can use to control the Samsung SP1614N externally?