Quiet hard drives

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Quiet hard drives

Post by elec999 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:28 pm

I have read around and learned that the Samsung and Hitachi are the quietest hard drives. Samsung appear to be very quiet, but I have heard they are not very realialeble. Which hard drive would you choose for quiet.
Thanks

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:59 am

I think the only reply you will get to this question is to read this forum. There are loads of posts about Samsungs. There are two poll threads showing how many drives have been owned, and how many have failed. Last time I checked Samsungs were running at a failure rate of about 5%.

More interestingly I have heard that Hitatchi have recently been able to reduce their drives idle whine. I searched last night for info this and have not found much so far.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Do the Hitachi's still have their meowing problem?

For quiet, I would get a Samsung drive in a heartbeat. In fact, the Samsung notebook drive looks VERY tempting to me

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:39 pm

sthayashi wrote:Do the Hitachi's still have their meowing problem?

For quiet, I would get a Samsung drive in a heartbeat. In fact, the Samsung notebook drive looks VERY tempting to me
I know there is a post on this forum linking to a firmware to fix the Hitachi's "meowing" problem. I do own a couple 80GB Hitachi 7K250's myself but I haven't really bothered to update the firmware as it doesn't really bother me.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:55 am

I thought the competiton was between samsung and seagate. I have a seagate barracuda 4 and 5 and I find them to be very quiet.