Mike's News Flash on Sumbeam Hard Drive Silencer

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mg1394

Mike's News Flash on Sumbeam Hard Drive Silencer

Post by mg1394 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:50 pm

It's interesting that a google search shows that Sunbeam makes two totally different devices they call Hard Drive Silencer - for example, see this one at http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/hddsil-22.html

The NoVibes literature makes a big deal about the quality of rubber in their device - that does make sense to me. Mike, can you tell if the type, quality, stretch characteristics, etc. are similar to make a judgment call?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:07 pm

Identical, AFAI can tell. They are industrial O-rings, the kind used as gaskets in heavy machinery, like maybe engines. A really big one.

The other Sunbeam device is not nearly as effective. HDD makes too solid a connection to the bracket; the rubber blocks are too hard.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:31 pm

I have the HDD Vibe-fixer from Sharkoon, which is the same product too. Except that it is black.
Which makes it more silent in the dark of course. :wink:

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:21 pm

Mike, very good answer on my questions as to the quality differences (if any or none) between the NoVibes and the Sunbeam Silencer. So, since I would certainly prefer to purchase products from a silentpcreview sponsor, specifically Silicon Acoustics, how do they realize that they can no longer charge double the price for an equivalent product and keep me as a customer?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:28 pm

What to say, mg1394? I know that NoVibesIII has always expensive. It's a German brand. My guess is that they had an exclusive contract with a Far East manufacturer, and now that contract has expired, so it's being bought, branded and resold by lots of others. FrontierPC is a sponsor too. Do they sell to the US? I guess SVC is the obvious choice for you. They're right where you are.

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mike

SVC is a good company, but they have the (as you point out) the inferior Sunbeam product for sale - I do purchase other products from them.

My point is that myself, and I think others, would prefer to purchase from companies that support silentpcreview. On the other hand, those companies need to be competitive with price and service. I used Silicon Acoustics as an example, simply because I also purchase from them and think their service is second to none - just great. And that is worth a premium price, but that doesn't mean double just because they have a vendor in Germany vs. a product you test that is made in Taiwan. I realize you have nothing to say in this, but these vendors have a reason for supporting this web site - they want our business and we want to give it to them.

So, you posed a question - does FrontierPC sell to the US. Maybe your sponsors should tell us potential customers whether they do or not. I'm also happy to lobby other vendors (like SVC) to become sponsors of this site - it should be good for them. Thanks.

edit: Frontier makes it clear on their site they only ship to Canadian addresses. Guess the USA system just makes it too hard to deal with. :(

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:13 pm

Lobby other vendors to sponsor SPCR -- by all means! :)

www.adpmods.com does appear to ship to the US -- they did send a sample, plus some fans for the big fan project, so while they're not official sponsors, they are looking at that option. Purchases by those who identify that they're there because of SPCR would certainly be persuasive.

smeehrrr

Post by smeehrrr » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:40 pm

adpmods.com apparently wants $20 shipping to the U.S., which sort of kills the deal for me. I can't find any retailer in the U.S. that carries this product at the moment.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:28 pm

mg1394 wrote:SVC is a good company, but they have the (as you point out) the inferior Sunbeam product for sale - I do purchase other products from them.
http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/mahadrsi.html

Out of stock, but looks identical to the NoVibes III lookalike Sunbeam.

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:00 am

Hi lenny,

Yes, I missed that they have the same unit, since my search included the Sumbeam name, and they chose the name "Magic" instead. :?

Any, I called them and they said "back in stock next week." I'll try one then.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:28 pm

I went searching around and came across a somewhat modified version at Xoxide; it has four posts per side instead of three. The image shows the bands being used rather differently. Think it could work as well? It's quite cheap.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:02 pm

If the rubber bands are used as in the picture at the site of Xoxide, then it does not much. The only things those rubberbands do is pressing the HD to the bottom of the frame. It even looks as if the two top rubberbands do't do anything at all. It doesn't suspend the HD.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:14 pm

Tibors wrote:If the rubber bands are used as in the picture at the site of Xoxide, then it does not much. The only things those rubberbands do is pressing the HD to the bottom of the frame. It even looks as if the two top rubberbands do't do anything at all. It doesn't suspend the HD.
The drive is, as depicted, being pressed onto rubber pads. Perhaps one could add sorbothane? (More secure than setting the drive in the bottom of the box?)

What if the bands were used as in the original? Or perhaps with the lower bands under the drive and the upper bands across the top?

I've nearly talked myself into trying it here!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:38 am

If you try it out, then go with your second option. Lower bands below the drive and upper bands over the drive.

From MikeC's review of the original NoVibes III
Without the third rubber band, the drive is completely suspended without touching the cork-rubber pads. This would provide a touch more isolation as the cork-rubber pads don't flex as much as the rubber bands.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:09 am

I've used the NovibesIII and the Sunbeam equivalent in several systems, and for 1-drive systems, the best placement is on the floor of the case directly behind the front bezel vent. HDD temp is then kept well in control; there's very little rise compared to normal hard mounting. Double-side stick tape or velcro holds it in place securely while providing further damping between case and HDD. Obviously not practical if the HDD bays run right down to the floor.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:26 am

I did indeed order Xoxide's version. Though I had my own ideas on how to use it, I expected instructions. There were none. I got two pairs of bands, each coupled by cable ties, one pair larger than the other; the metal frame, which has a rather stiff grounding wire to be attached to the drive; and nine screws.

Not particularly thinking about it, I removed the cable ties and used the bands as I had suggested: one pair of bands on the outside hooks to go under the drive, the other pair on the inside to go over the drive. This seems quite secure, and kept the drive well above the hard rubber pads. Unfortunately, it was slightly taller than a CD drive, and I hoped to put one drive directly above another. I therefore tried some other arrangements. Using a single pair of bands on the outer hooks works pretty well if the lower half of the band is on the outer side of the hooks; otherwise the bands touch the pads.

With that arrangement appearing suitable, I grabbed a pair of drive rails. Here I discovered a serious flaw: the mounting holes in the frame are around an eighth of an inch too close together! This is quite a mistake, and a silly one. Also, the heatshrink insulation on the hooks sticks out past the sides a bit, as do the bands themselves. I don't think it would be easy to get this into a drive cage. However, it will work fine sitting in the bottom of the case, as Mike suggested.

I actually bought two of these Silencers, which enabled me to also try the bands still joined by cable ties. Using the tied-together larger pair on the outside hooks works pretty well. Adding the smaller pair on the inner hooks does almost nothing in this arrangement -- because those hooks are higher, the bands barely touch the drive. I do not like using the bands tied together anyway, because there is no protective sleeving on the bands. I don't know how long they'd last under pressure with a cable tie cutting into them. Using them separated seems wiser.

The Xoxide Hard Drive Silencer seems to be under-engineered, rather like some of my own projects. I plan to put my Silencers in two older single-drive computers, where they can sit in the bottom of the case. I'm now waiting for SVC to stock their version again.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:47 pm

Nice that you tried. Looks like the rest of better stick to the original design or home brew solutions.
Last edited by Tibors on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:16 am

Tibors wrote:Nice that you tried. Looks like the rest of better sticks to the original design or home brew solutions.
I actually recommend it if you plan to use it only on the bottom of the case and want to save a few dollars. Otherwise, do use something else.

smeehrrr

Post by smeehrrr » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:44 pm

If anyone decides to go with the xoxide product anyway, it looks like they're dumping them for $5 a pop now.

Has anyone found the Sunbeam product for sale in the U.S. anywhere?

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:50 pm

For British forum members...is this similar/same?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... Products=1

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:57 am

IdontexistM8 wrote:For British forum members...is this similar/same?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module ... Products=1
That appears to be the Sunbeam product which Mike wrote "is not nearly as effective."

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:36 pm

I used Sewing Elastic to suspend / De-couple my hard drive. Works superbly. Nice and quiet. Can only just hear it seeking.

ADPBoss
-- Vendor --

Post by ADPBoss » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:21 am

I just wanted to make mention that $20 is indeed pricey to the US, but that is a flat rate up to 5lbs of shipping weight.

You could easily get 3 HD silencers shipped at that cost which includes insurance against loss and damage and is 6 business days to Cali, as little as 3 business days to major East Coast locations.

Unfortunately shipping to the US from Canada is not cheap. We prefer not to ship by a lesser method as it just creates problems down the road.

And if anyone is wondering, orders under $150 in value are almost never assessed duty, taxes or brokerage when coming to the U.S. from Canada.