74gb raptor - horrible seek noise, ideas on quieting

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dwoloz

74gb raptor - horrible seek noise, ideas on quieting

Post by dwoloz » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:51 pm

the raptors have really nice quiet idle noise but have horrible clicky seek noise (reminds me of hard drives a decade ago)
drives me nuts

i have rubber spacers between the screws on the drive but it does really nothing, the sound itsnt resonating as much through the case as it is just noise coming directly from the hard drive itself

suggestions?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:23 am

Try some of the top techniques described in this thread. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, get rid of that Raptor and replace it with a quieter drive.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:27 am

I recommend taking it back and getting an actual quiet drive... try a Samsung SP80 series... you'll dump nearly as much money and ten times as much time trying to quiet that beast...

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:08 am

Buy a FeK Pro and put the Fek+raptor on top of some foam, its what I did.

With it placed infront of my case with a 120mm papst @5v as the intake, I get 38oC from SMART and 40oC from a thermal probe attached to one of the lead heatsinks on the side of my raptor.

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:38 pm

Storm wrote:Buy a FeK Pro and put the Fek+raptor on top of some foam, its what I did.

With it placed infront of my case with a 120mm papst @5v as the intake, I get 38oC from SMART and 40oC from a thermal probe attached to one of the lead heatsinks on the side of my raptor.
Neat product, might try it if my suspension scheme for my 74GB Raptor doesn't silence the beast. Thanks for the link.

-Evan-