Seagate 120GB SATA vs PATA *Poll* NEED RESPONSES ASAP!!!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Which HDD

7200.7 PATA
50%
7200.7 SATA
No votes
Other HDD (Please post what you had in mind)
50%

Total votes: 2

gamingphreek

Seagate 120GB SATA vs PATA *Poll* NEED RESPONSES ASAP!!!

Post by gamingphreek » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:55 am

Normally i post in the Anandtech forums so this is sorta new to me as i dont specialize in noise dampening and stuff. (I am still Gamingphreek in AT forums). Im no noob though, im just more of an OCing, Video Card, Raw Hardware kinda guy :P

Now to get straight to the point right now i have an Ancient WD 20Gig HDD that makes and absolute racket... it is about the only thing i here with the exception of air rushing through the system. Recently i have started running out of space and said yep this is the time to upgrade.

I am thinking of getting the Seagate 7200.7 drive (just like every other person) however i have heard that there is a difference between the SATA and the PATA versions (ie noise difference). Well how much is the noise difference. Right now my computer is loud enough to be heard while i am trying to go to sleep about 10ft away.

If i get the drive will i notice a speed and noise difference (like something that i cant here while trying to go to sleep). If so i assume that would be the PATA... if i have the money should i go for the SATA version, if i do how much of a difference should i expect?

-Kevin
Last edited by gamingphreek on Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:37 pm

Samsung Spinpoint PATA, either 120GB or 160GB.

Don't forget to use the "search" function to look through the Silent Storage forum for more info. There's tons of info about the Seagate drives in particular, and even more about silent drives in general.

gamingphreek

Post by gamingphreek » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:54 pm

Well i just ordered that drive the 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA.

Can someone please tell me ASAP whether this drive is VERY much louder than the PATA version.

-Kevin

Magic

Post by Magic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:26 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Samsung Spinpoint PATA, either 120GB or 160GB.

Don't forget to use the "search" function to look through the Silent Storage forum for more info. There's tons of info about the Seagate drives in particular, and even more about silent drives in general.
Why the preference for PATA here?

NeilBlanchard

Samsung is quieter

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:49 pm

Hello:

I have used a bunch of Samsung SATA drives, and they are all quieter than the one Seagate SATA that I have now used in a client's machine. The Seagate's seek noise is a gentle "clicking" whereas, the Samsungs are virtually silent.

And yes, at least two of those were JVC motors. I know because those two both failed, but I *strongly* suspect the PS was at fault, since they both failed at once, while the client was both scanning (using a USB powered Canon scanner) and printing at the same time. I replaced the Fortron Source 300watt 120mm with a SeaSonic Super Tornado 300watt PS, and so far so good!

QuaiBoy

Post by QuaiBoy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Most any current drive will make less noise than the 20Gb WD, christ those were horrible. I have one of those in an old Gateway and I can hear it running (don't have it on much, for good reason) two rooms away. With the doors closed! I RMA'd it twice thinking it was abnormally loud, but that's just they way they are. The 40Gb Caviar as well. My 74Gb Raptor makes much less noise (and no whine, just seek/head). You'll be comparitively happy with the Seagate. Any of the Samsungs (even the JVCs) would be better than the WD as well.

Best of luck with your new drive,
-Evan-