SP1614C problems - how did your drive die?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Schroinx

SP1614C problems - how did your drive die?

Post by Schroinx » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:37 am

I bought a new comp this spring with two SP1614C drives. It have been running almost 24/7 ever since without a glitch.

When I came home the other day I couln't get it out of the pause-screen, so I rebooted it. It couldn't boot and stalled after "Verifying DMI Pool data" where the boot is done and the software takes over. Both the HDs was detected on the boot screen. After af few tries with the same result I unplugged the CD-drives and it booted.

The CD drives are stille unplugged, but now the comp freezes after a while, but I have been able to reboot it. I have run the Easytrack Data Recovery diagniostics, and the master disk returns with an unknown error code: "253" and passes all the others. Now the drives do not even show on the boot screen, so I unplugged the slave and plugged the master into the Silicon RAID controller and booted to get my data out.

I'm not planning to do anything with it before my new SP1614C drive arrives on tuesday, as I still have some data on it. When it does I'll reinstall on the new drive, and run some diagnostics on the master disc. However I suspect that the SATA controller on my IC7 may be the problem, or the MBR, but I won't run the risk with my data on the line.

Ant thoughts, recommendations and experiences are most welcome and appreciated!

Schroinx

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:44 pm

Check for smart errors using IBM DFT or Maxtor Powerblast diagnostic utilities.
Also, the seagate online utilities might be able to check for smart errors.

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:41 am

Have already done so. but nothing comes up. I can see in HD Health that one value have changed, but thats all.

/Schroinx

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:07 am

I feel so f...... stupid. Counting on it being a new machine and all, I didn't check the powercables. The 5v connector from the standart powerplug to the two SATA plugs could have been the problem. I have now replaced it, and is waiting to see if it freezes again. And my new drive have just arrived, that sucks, as my economy was better without it.

plz, don't say a thing. I know how stupid I am.

/Schroinx

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:42 am

Schroinx, your not being stupid in any way.

We all are still learning/ gaining experience. It never stops.

Just think of it as another experience that will add weight to your fault finding ability.

My only advice to you would be: Remember it. :D

I have so often said "F***'S sake,... why didn't I think of/remember that before !!!!! :evil: "

Finding the fault is not stupid, the amount of time it takes does not matter.

Forgetting the info and going through the same thing again months/years later is stupid. And there is no way I'm going to tell you how often I've done that... or threatened to start a little book for my self full of usefull bits like this for future reference...... :oops:

Hope you have solved your problem. 8)

Pete 'chalk it up to experience' Amer

Laurent

Post by Laurent » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:22 am

Schroinx,
unfortunately, I don't think yours is an isolated case. The SATA data and power connectors are notoriously flaky and tend to disconnect very easily and don't even show they are disconnected, because 1mm or so is enough to not make contact. This is especially unexpected for people who are used to the massive insertion force needed for Molex power connectors and IDE connectors.

I hit that issue a couple of times while playing around with my new ARM Systems machine and it took me a while to diagnose the problem (I freaked out too). Then it became obvious why they put tape on all the SATA connectors.

Laurent

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:06 am

Peteamer
Well, it alwas the obvious you miss, because it is just too darn easy. Had I thought about it: both drives passing the SMART test, both drives seems to fail, I should have looked for something that influenced both drives.

But I'll remeber the lesson. :)

Laurent:
Guess so. The SATA connectors are really bad, and I have had issues with them before because as you mention it can look correct and not work. Also the retention tap on the primary SATA connector on my mobo is broken (and I did not use excessive force, I promise). So that suks. However the problem was with the molex to SATA power cable, where the male pin on the 5v line was bad. Thats a first time for me.

Anyhow I'm gonna put strips on everything and tape as well.

But it is running like a dream now. :D

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:18 pm

8)