Spinpoint drives from overclockers.co.uk

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

termcap

Spinpoint drives from overclockers.co.uk

Post by termcap » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:05 pm

For any in the UK who might be interested, I just ordered 2x 80Gb Samsung Spinpoint SP0802N from www.overclockers.co.uk. Both have NIDEC motors. I havn't really checked them properly yet but I plugged them in and they sound pretty quiet.

Gordon

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. Useful to know.

Just bear in mind their retailer ratings on http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?35

termcap

Post by termcap » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:35 pm

Fair enough. I have ordered from them several times and have not had any cause for complaint. This was the first time for drives, though, and I thought the approach to packaging a bit unconventional and left something to be desired... (i.e. drives in their plasic 'clam' containers, wrapped in large bubble wrap inside a large postage envelope (like a bag)).

Gordon

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:33 am

OMG !!! Romulus2.com is a very cool resource. I have been looking for something like that for a while. Thanks for the link.

I've used Overclockers before, and when things go wrong they can be slow to respond. Overall I would say they were OK, not good, not poor, just OK.

rbsteffes

Post by rbsteffes » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:48 am

luminous - Reseller Ratings is pretty good too.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1714.html

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:45 am

If you want some laughs, go to www.ciao.co.uk and read the retailer feedback about Pixmania.... ...

The guy who ordered a digicam and was provided with only a German manual made me chuckle.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:26 am

Regarding their forum: They have a rather OTT forum policy of not allowing products they don't sell, to be mentioned...or atleast linking those products with relevant URL's. The Mods there have a very cavalier approach to enforcing that rule. Not very friendly.

All their forum avatars are only half a dozen characters out of some Godfather film, in black and white, so every one looks the same :roll:

krooton

Post by krooton » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:48 am

I use the forum alot, loads of knowledgable peeps on there, I admit the 'no linking/mentioning competitors' rule is a bit harsh, but they fund the forum for free, so I guess they can make their own calls.

They have no probelms linking to manufactueres websites, or sites that are international that dont ship to the uk, any site that can be viewed as a rival e-tailer however is a no-no.

I've never had any problems buying from them, and they are MUCH better priced than some of the stores listed in romulus.

:D

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:53 am

Well - IMHO OCUK deserve better than the rating at Romulus. I placed at least 3 orders with them in the first 6 months of the year with no extreme problems. 1 order I RMAd a CPU and SATA drive: later when I got the system working OK I felt a bit guilty as I suspect the problems with the first bits were probably my ignorance, but without the original components to hand I couldn't verify.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:37 pm

The only order I placed with overclockers.co.uk was a few years ago for a couple of case fans. They sent them to me in a normal A4 manilla envelope with a single piece of bubble wrap that was so small, the fans were only padded on one side.

Other than that, I tend to avoid them - heard quite a few RMA horror stories about them on forums outside of Romulus2.

Two companies I that I think are absolutely faultless are kustompcs.co.uk and thecoolingshop.co.uk It's just a shame that their product ranges tend to be slightly more limited. Personally, I tend to use a range of retailers depending on what I'm buying, it's value, and the likelihood of an RMA occuring in the future. If it's high value, I'll go with a tried and trusted company that I know has good customer service even if it means paying slightly more.

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:01 pm

I'll second that last point. I'm prepared to pay a little more to get good customer service. I'm not prepared to pay much more mind :P Just enough to compensate the firm for having humans at present in tech support and customer service :D

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:36 pm

One word to say about Overclockers UK: AVOID!!
I returned a heatsink I got from them under the distance selling regulations. They tried to charge me and denied any knowledge of the legislation, and it took well over a month and several (polite) threats to get my money back. IMO they have a bad attitude.
I recently bought a 160gB Nidec Spinpoint over the counter from RL Supplies and they had lots in stock at the time. Can't vouch for their mail order but I always get good advice and their prices are often the best around.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:26 pm

luminous wrote: I'm not prepared to pay much more mind :P Just enough to compensate the firm for having humans at present in tech support and customer service :D
Shurely shome mistake?

luminous = high maintenance ;)