Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Viperoni

Toshiba MK6021GAS 60gb 4200rpm 2.5" my thoughts

Post by Viperoni » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:13 pm

Here's what I could find about it:

4200rpm FDB motor with 2mb cache.
Read/Write/Seek power consumption is 2.3/2.3/2.6 watts
Sleep/Standby is 0.1/0.25 watts

I haven't bought a 2.5->3.5" HD adapter yet, but when I do I'll definetely give the drive a whirl.

I wasn't able to find noise specs on it.

It will be used in a rig that'll run 24/7 with only a single 80mm Panaflo L @ 5v, hence why the HD I choose does need to be rather quiet. Speed isn't a factor since it'll only DVD burning and acting as a router.

Thanks for any help :)

-------- UPDATE 1: First Impressions of the drive---------

Idle noise is pretty dang quiet.
Upclose, IE: 1foot, there's an pure sinewave mixed with a constant whir/whirl sound. To give you an idea of how loud that particular noise is, it's about as loud as the 80mm Panaflo L inside my open case... running at 5v. When I stop the L with my finger, I can localize the HD much easier, but when I let go, the 2 noises seem the blend in.

For reference, my 80mm Panaflo L @ 5v makes a chugging whirly kinda sound, extremely quietly.

From 3 feet away, you hear just a bit of a whirl noise, no pure sinewave at all.

Access noise is a surprisingly loud crunch with a bit of click backing it up.... kinda like a sharp crunching. Can't compare the 2 noises right now (installing Win2k), but compared to the idle noise, the seek noise is :shock: louder. Inside the case with the cover on, it'd be noticeable, but not particularily distracting.

------ Inside the box!
It's a 7x6x2" cardboard box with 2 pieces of eggcrate foam, probably originally used to pacakge ram or processors very safely.

So I stuck the hard drive inside the box.

Currently DTemp is showing ~40c with 99% idle situations; the drive is spinning, but it's barely being accessing at all. (Super simple webbrowsing).

Idle noise: I can only tell the HD is spinning when I stop the Panaflo, and even then all that's heard is an extremely muffled bit of whine... with my ear right beside the box (literally).

Seek Noise: It defientely is audible, no doubt about that, but it's much quieter than not in the box. It still sounds crunchy, a very muted crunching, but undoubtedly an audible crunch. In terms of loudness, I can't guesstimate it at this point. Will post back with a rough idea of how loud it is.

-------------- Last Update:

Inside the box, seek noise is defientely audible, but not loud. For reference, it's a fair bit quieter than the seek noise of a 80 gig B IV sitting on 2 inches of foam.

In general, I wish the drive was quieter.
It's speed is fine, it's currently running a p2 400 @ 266mhz (yes underclocked), 256mb of ram, Intel ZX chipset with Win2k and bootup times are fine, admittedly the processor's on the slow side but for what it'll be used for, it's plenty.
Really, the HD's noise level was my only concern and it didn't quite meet what I wanted (practically silent, in every meaning of the word), but inside the box it's plenty quiet enough.
Last edited by Viperoni on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:06 pm

I think I'm just gonna get the Fujitsu 4200rpm model, everybody loves it and I need as silent as possible. Maybe even... beyond silent :o

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:14 pm

Viperoni wrote:Maybe even... beyond silent :o
A drive that actively absorbs noise? Now this I have to hear. Or NOT hear :lol:

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:11 am

Viperoni wrote:I think I'm just gonna get the Fujitsu 4200rpm model, everybody loves it and I need as silent as possible. Maybe even... beyond silent :o
How about the new(ish) Samsung 2.5" Spinpoints? They spin a bit faster than the Futjitsu, and have a much larger cache.

Did anyone ever review these for spcr, by the way?

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:03 pm

Bought the drive, first impressions posted :)

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:45 pm

Final update, hopefully somebody can use this info!