Best way to silence my 2XSpinpoint Raid0 drives (JVC)?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nepenthe

Best way to silence my 2XSpinpoint Raid0 drives (JVC)?

Post by Nepenthe » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:11 pm

Hi,

right now my 2 Spinpoint HD are screwed in the lower drive cage in front of the fan grill (no fan mounted yet), and it's kinda loud. I'm considering either suspend them or foam them.

Is it true that when I either suspend or foam them, I can no longer move them around? Not that it's a LAN party rig, but I'm just afraid that I'd forget it sometimes and just push it around and duh.... :oops:

Also, is it safe to stack my disks?! That is, first a sheet of foam, then 1 HD, then put another sheet of foam on top of that, and finally the 2nd HD? I'm sure this way it'd be pretty hot, but I'll have the intake fan directed at it so maybe it's ok?

And in either case, the 3.25'' drive cage can no longer be used, right?

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:56 pm

An expensive option is to consider using Silent Max drive enclosures. These also make an attempt to decouple your drives from your case by use of 4 soft large rubber blocks.

The HDD is placed inside the enclosure, and then the enclosure is screwed into your 5 1/4 bay. This leaves you free to move the case around as you wish.

If these do not decouple the drives sufficiently you can then opt to suspend them inside their enclosures.

The cheaper option is suspension, that you will almost certainly have to undo if you want to move your case about. The better you are with fiddly things, the easier you will find suspending your drives. Personally I find it a real pain to do. Worth it, but still a pain.

EDIT:- Your existing drive cage may be able to be used. It depends on its shape, accessibility and how inventive you are. Eg, sometimes you can turn the drive through 90 degrees and then suspend them inside the 3.5 enclosure. It just depends how big it is, and how it has been constructed.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:21 am

Have a look at Bluefront's HDD project.. "Bird-House" Some new mods. It is a travel safe solution when done right.

Nepenthe

Post by Nepenthe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:38 pm

luminous wrote: Your existing drive cage may be able to be used. It depends on its shape, accessibility and how inventive you are. Eg, sometimes you can turn the drive through 90 degrees and then suspend them inside the 3.5 enclosure. It just depends how big it is, and how it has been constructed.
hehe, a quite cool idea, guess I'll have a try!
But is it safe to have HDs always spinning in the vertical direction, and especially if they are not screwed down?

@Tibors: Nice solution, but that's far, far beyond my fiddling skills... :oops:

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Yeah, its fine to have them spinning at 90 degrees. My case has them like that to start with.