where to buy NIDEC samsungs online?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

where to buy NIDEC samsungs online?

Post by dan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:38 pm

hello,
does anyone have any idea where in the US i may buy online NIDEC spinpoint hard drives GURANTEED? neither my fav vendor, newegg, nor excaliburpc, nor googlegear apparently gurantees them

of course should i buy from newegg, i may get NIDEC or JVC, and I may RMA if it is JVC, but it is much easier to simply spend an extra $5 upfront to get NIDEC

thanks!
dan

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:24 am

This question's been asked and answered many, many times before. Use the search function and you'll get plenty of hits.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:52 am

It's often been asked. I don't know if it's ever been adequately answered.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:14 am

well
i did, and everyone recommend excaliburpc and so i went to their website and said for the 160gb model they don't offer this service and i emailed them and excaliburpc no longer offers this service for any model, apparently.

i also emailed siliconaccoustics and they apparently do not have as of a week ago the 80gb version.

these vendors were the only 2 mentioned. cherry picking nidec is a service i'd be willing to pay extra for.

karmasalad

Post by karmasalad » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:35 am

FWIW, all four of the Samsungs I've ordered from Newegg have been NIDECs. These orders were spread out over a year's time.

Other people have reported getting JVC models from Newegg, so it looks like it just might be the luck of the draw.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:41 pm

My Samsung uses a JVC motor and came from Newegg, so... yeah... :P

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:33 pm

i'll say it for a third time: Microcenters have OEM Samsung HDs, and I hand picked my own Nidec motor. Tyrdium - you should check it out in Cambridge.

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:01 pm

I know, I just need justification to buy a new hard drive (I live within walking distance).

Oy, next time you're there, pick up one of the little screwdriver pens. They're a buck or two, and come with two Philips and two flatheads. Convenient little things...

JimK

Post by JimK » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:51 pm

I was in the Westbury, NY Microcenter yesterday and they had the 80 GB 0802 for $59.99, all with Nidecs, the 160 GB 1602 for $82.99 were all JVC. The SATA 160 GB at $99.99 was sold out :(

dan

Post by dan » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:28 pm

i don't live close to a microcenter. if i order online, would they ship NIDEC?

yeah i am a regular here and i am well aware that newegg ships both nidec and jvc, and that excalibur pc used to cherry pic, but now their website expressly states they don't do this, and when i emailed them, they confirm.

here's a link
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info ... ts_id=3323

here's a quote

"We will no longer accept request to look for drive made specifically with Nidec motor"

also when i visit the website the "gatekeeper" status is always "red" with "sorry cannot process request"

it is my understanding SPR is the only website on the internet that singled out NIDEC as preferable to JVC, if that is the case, enough SPR fans queriied excaliberpc for them to make the statement "nidec requests not accepted" so SPR is quite influential and important in purchasing decisions for vendors. i would be happy to order NIDEC from excaliberpc rather than take chances at newegg, for a $5 fee, but i guess enough SPR readers like me bugged excaliber so they aren't offering it at all.

pricewatch does list a couple of vendors i've never heard of nor have any experience.

compusa prices are quite a bit more, $20-$30 more, than newegg, while they don't gurantee nidec, if i come in person in the store, see it's not nidec i can refuse purchase, although i don't know if you can tell it's nidec from just the box, as they won't let you open the box without opening it, but apprently the box is clear plastic. apparently though i would buy the retail rather than oem package.

hatr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by hatr » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:31 pm

I just bought a Samsung 120GB Sata drive (SP1213C) from Endpcnoise.com. Before I did, I emailed them and asked if this model had the Nidec motor. They responded saying that they all contained Nidec motors. Whether that means all of their drives, or all of this particular model, I'm not sure. In either case, the drive I received has a Nidec motor. As of early December, the drive cost me about $18US more than Newegg was charging.