re:SPCR Recommended HD list. NEEDS UPDATING !!!!!!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BOOGS

re:SPCR Recommended HD list. NEEDS UPDATING !!!!!!

Post by BOOGS » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:45 am

the list is decent, BUT , I think there should be mention about Seagate no longer having AAM on the 7200.7 + models , and all later current models.........

especially with the SATA versions , which have a horrible LOUD seek noise, just like a high performance 10k SCSI drive/s - totally UNACCEPTABLE for a quiet PC, I had to sell mine after 1 week......

the ATA versions are factory set to quiet mode, so there are STILL very quiet drives.......

but the SATA are set to performance mode - ie NOISY

considering the tiny performance difference, I think Seagate have made an error in setting up the drives this way................

ANYWAY - I THINK THIS SHOULD BE MENTIONED on the LIST !!!

thanks........................................

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:22 am

It is already mentioned in the list, Captain Caplock:
7200.7 entry in Recommended List wrote:Not in the same league as the IV or V (about 5dBA louder at idle) or the Samsungs, the 80G/platter 7200.7 also does not appear to support AAM at all. It is borderline quiet, though still quieter than most models from most other makes. Review1 Review2 - Updated Apr/04

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:04 am

Sorry Rusty075,
Despite his annoying use of caps, I think he has a point. What you quote says the 80GB model has no AAM. While the impression I always get from the forums is, that the SATA versions don't have AAM and the PATA versions do have AAM. That's quite a difference, but I don't know which one is right.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:56 am

PATA: AAM enabled
SATA: AAM disabled

This was the situation when the drives were released. Link to SR.com's review of 7200.7, note the different access times between PATA and SATA. Maybe has changed nowadays?

AAM mode cannot be changed. Though there is a rumor that some OEMs have a utility which can change.... :?

Cheers,

Jan

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:06 am

Well, WHERE IS any mention of the LOUD seek noises ? from the Seagate Sata drives ?

No mention at all

Of course, it will annoy anyone, buying such a drive, and expecting it to be quiet, when in fact it make a very loud and distinct click sound on seek.............

I had to sell mine, as I couldnt put up with it.................I have 2 fans in my case, and it still drove me nuts.............

I wouldve kept my 10k SCSI drives had I known about this issue......

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:42 am

BOOGS, could it be that you had a problematic drive? I've two SATA 7200.7s running, I've installed several PATA versions on friends computers. While there IS a difference, it's nearly negligable - and yes, I also have a Samsung drive to compare to and my system is pretty quiet.

One of the SATA drive I have had a buzzing noise on idle that drove me nuts but now that's also passed away.

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:10 am

hi

drives cant be at fault, as I had 2 identical SATA 7200.7 units, as I was going to raid them, but changed my mind in the end.

both made an indentical level of noise on seek

on idle, they extremely quiet...........

as for the click sound, it is at least 4 times louder on the SATA, maybe even more.......

my case is very quiet, so I can easily make out all the sounds................im guessing your case might be noisier , so its masking the seek noises quite well.....

ive also read a lot of complaint from other SATA 7200.7 users, some of whom are getting rid of the drive ( like I am doing ) simply because of the seek noises....................

u may have got lucky and got a quieter unit, but i dont think thats the norm

cheers

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:43 am

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:43 am

I would vote for an update to the recommended list. I know that SPCR stadd are busy and unpaid, but it is out of date with the knowledge on the forums. There is a lot that could be added.

I know people can search a forum for knowledge, but it is nice when a knowledgeable person sifts through and condenses that information in a way that is easy for everyone to see (especially newcomers) wihtout them having to sift through masses of posts.

The points about the AAM being locked, and the buzzing from an idle drive are well known points to regulars, and I cannot see why it would not be appropriate for that to be mentioned.

Just my 2p worth, its not going to effect me either way as I already know it ALL ;) :) !!!

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:16 pm

MikeC wrote:Ask and ye shall receive. :wink:

Recommended HDDs article has been updated.
Absolutely brilliant.................

Oh - and at some point no doubt, you may wish to include the DIAMONDMAX 10 drives, my SATA version is as quiet as a mouse, and cool to the touch too.............its a perfect drive for my system, very low noise and very fast............

I had originally wanted to buy the Samsung, but all the places I buy from where out of stock................i was just about to get the 7200.7 PATA, when last minute I took a chance on the Maxtor 10.

and its the fastest and joint quietest drive Ive ever owned.

Im sure others will soon confirm my findings..........

:idea:

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:21 pm

Wow, nice one MikeC. Sorry about my late post :D

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:11 pm

Hmm, just going over your diamondmax post, and it got me the itch to ask. Were your Seagates suspended? Now that the question arose, I do remember the Seagates being extremely prone to vibration during seeks. Suspension solves the problem. Since I've been suspending my drives for a loooong time, I consider my drives quiet :)

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:10 pm

Yes, i had tried them suspended, all that does is stop any vibrations being transmitted through the case

even holding it in my hand, u still hear the seeks loudly

u just cant eliminate the noise from the seeks, its essentially like a loudspeaker, you can suspend it, but it still emits sound..........

the max 10, is brilliant, try one, i guarantee u wont be disappointed........

MassMan
Friend of SPCR

Post by MassMan » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:05 pm

I'm a bit confused regarding the Samsung recommendations. "Samsung SP1604N (comments relevant to SATA, 120 and 80G, and 8 mb cache models)", yet Samsung SP1604N is a 160gb with 2mb cache?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:22 pm

MassMan wrote:I'm a bit confused regarding the Samsung recommendations. "Samsung SP1604N (comments relevant to SATA, 120 and 80G, and 8 mb cache models)", yet Samsung SP1604N is a 160gb with 2mb cache?
It's been reworded: "comments also pertain to SATA, 120G and 80G, and 8 mb cache models"