Does this look safe to you guys?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

warlock110

Does this look safe to you guys?

Post by warlock110 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:05 pm

I didn't have enough space to mount HDD on the new SLK 2650BQE i got (i got enough space, it's just too close to each other causing the HDD to heat up, here's a little something i did, i don't know if it's safe though

The front

The back

The sticking :)

The view

I got a 80mm fan with the zalman fan control, so it's at 7 or 5V ( can't remember) blowing on the HDD at the very bottom, i think that helps alot, i mounted the thing with double sided tape that I made from electrical tape, i hope it sticks :)

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Looks fine to me :)

If there are any vibrations transferred, Sorbothane foam works. It eliminated my HDD vibes at least.

For a little extra cash, there used to be a No Vibes III made with a bottom mounting for an 80mm fan. I have one though without a fan. The No Vibes would need to be elevated to allow room for the fan and for a little room below it.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:48 pm

That's almost exactly how my hard drive was sitting in the case last year. Just remember to take the drive out if you transport the computer anywhere!

Try carefully picking up the drive while it's powered on. If the noise decreases, then making a suspension-mount will help. You can make a really easy suspension mount with that 5 1/2" shell. Just take some rubber bands, cut them once so they're no longer loops, tie them into a long string, and weave it through the holes on the sides of the shell. Then rest the drive on top of the bands. I did that for months, and the bands got brittle but still did the job. A more permanent solution would require a better material than rubber bands. If the bands snap, the drive only falls a 1/4 of an inch, which almost certainly won't hurt it (I hope... anyone want to calculate the G-forces on that?).

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:53 pm

I knock atleast 10C off with this mounting method compare to the antec 2 drive next to each other method :) and it's even better when the HDD is working :). woot, not a bad investment for this stupid little case, now i can sleep at night, btw you know any good 80mm fan that's quiet? i'm using the 1 dollar fans from newegg (i bougth 10 for 10 lol)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 007&depa=0

maybe that's the one's that making alot of noise :), i also have some spare yale loon 120mm fans, you think they are louder than the antec stockf fans?i can swap them real quick and see what happen :).

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:54 pm

SometimesWarrior wrote:That's almost exactly how my hard drive was sitting in the case last year. Just remember to take the drive out if you transport the computer anywhere!

Try carefully picking up the drive while it's powered on. If the noise decreases, then making a suspension-mount will help. You can make a really easy suspension mount with that 5 1/2" shell. Just take some rubber bands, cut them once so they're no longer loops, tie them into a long string, and weave it through the holes on the sides of the shell. Then rest the drive on top of the bands. I did that for months, and the bands got brittle but still did the job. A more permanent solution would require a better material than rubber bands. If the bands snap, the drive only falls a 1/4 of an inch, which almost certainly won't hurt it (I hope... anyone want to calculate the G-forces on that?).
no more 5.25" slot in this case, i used one for a DVD burner, and already 1 HDD is taking a 5.25" bay, i'm using the very top one to hide the extra cables (i got a flatform i made up there), so i'm left with 1, lol that's just going back to stacking the drive in the 3.5" bay :).

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:55 pm

Yate Loon fans are supposed to be among the quietest.

For 80mm, Nexus fans (which are made by Yate Loon) are great.

Like SometimesWarrior said, pick up the drive to see if it needs additional decoupling. Also, if you can feel vibrations with your hand on the PC case, they are probably due to the HDD. Heh, at least that's my experience.

What's great about the No Vibes is it comes with durable rubber bands. Mine is fully suspended, but I still felt vibrations. Placing the suspension on foam eliminated the rest. Also, RAM sinks dropped the temp... at least one or two 'C. Actually, if you could move some air across it, Sorbothane seems to fully decouple a bare HDD according to forum members, though I haven't tried it myself. I dunno why I haven't actually...

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:26 pm

SVC sales ram sink but they are sold out, when the come back i'm grabing myself some, i think 8 per a HDD is enough to drop the temp a couple degrees :)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:29 pm

Trip wrote:...though I haven't tried it myself. I dunno why I haven't actually...
Likely the same reason I haven't. Price.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Actually, I've got some. I wanted it to reduce the vibrations still present from the No Vibes suspension.

I haven't switched to just sorbothane I suppose because I wouldn't benefit and might even increase a small bit of vibration to the aluminum case.
SVC sales ram sink but they are sold out, when the come back i'm grabing myself some, i think 8 per a HDD is enough to drop the temp a couple degrees
They're expensive though. I doubt you'd notice a Nexus 80mm, and it'd be less expensive.

With my setup, I've got the HDD right behind the PSU with the heatsinks on the side and top to pick up what little airflow there is. Y'know, I could fit more on there if I just relied on the Sorbothane... :twisted: Actually, a cheaper solution would be to go with some old heatsinks on top that I have. Yeah, I might do that.

EDIT: I don't see any at Mcmaster.com anymore. However, this place does sell some. McMaster offered a range of softness, and I'm not sure how soft this one is.