Spinpoints and high pitch noise at idle

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:09 pm

Hint: If you guys fill in your location in your profile, then you get some less confusion.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:35 pm

Tibors wrote:Hint: If you guys fill in your location in your profile, then you get some less confusion.
OK, I added that
Last edited by jldet5 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:47 pm

...Ball Bearing spindle motors have been the common design-in for HDDs for many years; however, the market is shifting toward a different type of bearing design known as Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB)...

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:48 pm

Brum Man wrote:Oh ok, sorry for being not too bright! So what does the full acronym mean?

I take you are on America (just done a search for best buy and see it's an american e-tailor), and that is why you were asking if I can get these locally ie England, ah it's all falling into place! :)

I have no idea TBH what build they are sending etc, just that they are JD, but I spose all of them are labelled as that but they just change the build slightly at some point?
So are you saying that you can not purchase these locally?

I can check out the local best buy and see if the case is dark or silver...but by now I would hope they are FDB.

Brum Man

Post by Brum Man » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:35 am

Sorry. No I can't get them loacally ie. going down to a shop and looking at them, I have to order them online so there is no way of knowing what colour the top is before I buy them.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:45 pm

Brum Man wrote:Sorry. No I can't get them loacally ie. going down to a shop and looking at them, I have to order them online so there is no way of knowing what colour the top is before I buy them.
\

I would ask if they are the FDB version before buying then.

I'll let you know what I spot locally.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:18 pm

They guy sent me a diamond max 9 plus instead. At first I was pissed but I found some specs that list the max 9 at 2.7 bels and the max 10 at 2.9 bels.

This drive (6Y160M0) has extremely low whine....way better than the samsung nidec which also vibrated. This one is a keeper and I've gone through quite a few. I know some people are down on maxtor but acoustically I like it!

Right now I have it in my SmartDrive 2002C (the smart drive is on rubber bumps laying in the bottom of the case) with a 5 volt Zalman fan sitting on top and its silent!