thanks ! Diamond Max 10 - super quiet drive it is indeed..

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BOOGS

thanks ! Diamond Max 10 - super quiet drive it is indeed..

Post by BOOGS » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:21 am

thanks to the few people who sent me a PM, stating how happy they are that I recomended the DM10s, and they purchased these drives because of my posts.....and are delighted with them

well, I havent posted for a long time, since I was getting gunned down, for simply stating that the max 10, was a super quiet, blindingly fast HD.....

but have managed the strength to make this post, as a thank you to everyone who DIDNT gun me down !

and all this started because my 7200.7 Sata, was noise as hell....

Ive had one guy PM me today, saying the MAX 10, is far better and quieter than a Nidec Samsung.

all very positive.

ckang008

Post by ckang008 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:16 am

The Max 10 is quieter than a Nidec Samsung?? I'm considering of getting another drive cuz the seek noise for my Seagate 7200.7 120Gb SATA is making me mad.

I find the Seagate idle noise acceptable but prefer something a little bit quieter and want to totally get rid of the seek noise. Which of the two drives (Max10 and Nidec Samsung) do u recommend?

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:25 am

mmmhhh... that's very strange

first of all WHICH model are talking about ?
DMX 10 8MB or 16MB cache ?

one week ago I tried a couple of DMX 10 160GB SATA, and their was everything except quiet or silent, I swap them for a pair of Samsung, same size and type, and yes... that's my concept of silent..

:?

RachelG
Patron of SPCR

Post by RachelG » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:31 am

The UK magazine PCPro very recently did a round up of hard drives. They seem to be taking some notice of those people interested in silence and did fairly reasonable sounding (no pun intended) testing involving a soundproofed room on a separate site.

I think the figures they come up with refer to seek noise - it's not terribly clear. Anyway, from memory, they rate the Samsung at 28.1dBA and the Diamond Max at 28.8dBA, but found the Diamond Max to have overall better performance. (There is of course no mention of whether the Samsung is Nidec or not!).

In other words, according to PCPro, the Samsung is ahead by a short length for quiet computing, but the Diamond Max is not a bad alternative.

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:42 am

ckang008 wrote:The Max 10 is quieter than a Nidec Samsung?? I'm considering of getting another drive cuz the seek noise for my Seagate 7200.7 120Gb SATA is making me mad.
heh heh, YES I know the feeling, I had my 2 Satas 7200.7 for 5 days before I got rid of them, man, they gave me a headache, the seek noises were like something from the 286 computing days......I still, to this day, have no idea why seagate are allowing such noisy seek levels on their sata drives.........

I never owned a Samsung, but tried everything else, and the DM10 were by the far the fastest, and also, the quietest

certainly, you will NOT hear any seek noise at all, and no spin noise

and its cheap too.....

i was so impressed, I bought another the next month

you can try a samsung, theyre supposed to be quiet too, but performance in not on the same level as the DM10s, which have been tested to be the fastest 7200rpm Sata drives ever....

Boogs

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:46 am

charger2000 wrote:mmmhhh... that's very strange
one week ago I tried a couple of DMX 10 160GB SATA, and their was everything except quiet or silent, I swap them for a pair of Samsung, same size and type, and yes... that's my concept of silent..

I have 2 x 160gb Satas......8mb.......

if you set the AAM to QUIET MODE, then they are pretty much silent, and totally silent with the pc case closed......unless of course, youre case is a poor design, and vibrates like crazy

mine are mounted solidly, and my case is made by SuperMicro, and there is no vibration at all

to say the DM10s are noisy, is definately an incorrect statement, unless both the drives u had were faulty.............

as stated here, there is less than 1dB difference in the measured tests of the spin noise between DM10 and Spinpoint......

Boogs

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:04 am

BOOGS wrote:
charger2000 wrote:mmmhhh... that's very strange

I have 2 x 160gb Satas......8mb.......

if you set the AAM to QUIET MODE, then they are pretty much silent, and totally silent with the pc case closed......unless of course, youre case is a poor design, and vibrates like crazy

mine are mounted solidly, and my case is made by SuperMicro, and there is no vibration at all

to say the DM10s are noisy, is definately an incorrect statement, unless both the drives u had were faulty.............

as stated here, there is less than 1dB difference in the measured tests of the spin noise between DM10 and Spinpoint......

Boogs
are you using the Hitachi Disk Feature Utility to set the AAM, or a Maxtor utility ?
:)

BOOGS

Post by BOOGS » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:03 am

im using the Hitachi tool

as the maxtor tool failed to recognise the drives (!)

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:06 am

BOOGS wrote:im using the Hitachi tool

as the maxtor tool failed to recognise the drives (!)
maybe coz is disguised Samsung... :D

Viperoni

Post by Viperoni » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:02 am

From my experience, a Samsung SP1604N with Nidec FDB is a very quiet HD. I've got it sitting horizontally, with a 2" wide "band" of foam surrounding it. There's also a piece of eggcrate in front of the drive (between the drive and the plastic front bezel).

The computer's underneath my table, and with the case closed, it's idle noise is just a touch quieter than the bearing noise a 80mm China Panaflo L makes @ 5v.

My WD 250gb SE SATA is just a bit louder, slightly higher pitched as well.

Both can't compete with a 60gb Toshiba MK6021GAS laptop drive of course, but in general, the new WD's with their FDB are quite quiet.

Alev

Post by Alev » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:40 am

Based on my experience with WD Raptor 74GB model, Samsung 160GB SATA
(JVC motor) and Diamond Max 10 (300GB, 16MB cache), I would say that the latter:
- has idle noise comparable to my Samsung with JVC motor
- vibrates more then my Samsung with JVC motor
- warmer then Samsung with JVC motor
- when hardmounted has seeks less noise then those of Samsung, but subjectively, I find the crunching noise more irritating.
- when suspended seeks noise reduces less then that of Samsung, or even that of Raptor. (if all suspended, Raptor is the best, followed by samsung and trailed by Maxtor)

All SATA drives, no AAM was turned on.

I am quite happy with my Diamond Max 10. It is big, fast, not overly hot, but super quiet it is not.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:21 am

Just an idle thought:

Moderators, isn't this a duplicate thread? One of you folks was quite "on the ball" closing duplicate threads regarding the Pentium M socket 479 - 478 adapter recently.

You may as well close this thread and reference the original thread in the same vein.... That way anyone new can see the complete history of everyone's comments regarding this topic.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:04 am

sgtpokey wrote:Moderators, isn't this a duplicate thread? One of you folks was quite "on the ball" closing duplicate threads regarding the Pentium M socket 479 - 478 adapter recently.

You may as well close this thread and reference the original thread in the same vein.... That way anyone new can see the complete history of everyone's comments regarding this topic.
Agreed.

Everyone, in the interest of keeping the forums clean and tidy, please resume your discussion in the original thread