New HD silencer from mcubed

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mk

New HD silencer from mcubed

Post by mk » Mon May 16, 2005 12:38 am

Another HD silencer. This one from mcubed.

mCubed Vertical Silence

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Mon May 16, 2005 1:53 am

ATWindsor

Re: New HD silencer from mcubed

Post by ATWindsor » Mon May 16, 2005 2:20 am

mk wrote:Another HD silencer. This one from mcubed.

mCubed Vertical Silence
Seems like an interesting product, a silenecer which both adresses vibration and idle noise. The review seems to indicate that i gets pretty hot though (close to 50 C)

AtW

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Mon May 16, 2005 4:30 am

Nice product but I don't see what the major difference is vs the SmartDrive2002C. One thing I did note was the back connectors are less sound proofed than the SmartDrive's (The smart drive encloses even that with a lined rubberlike lip, and ideally you use a flat ide cable so that the lip envelopes all the cabling).

I am actually looking at MCube's Hi Fi passive case. Looks fun and they've already answered some of my questions via email so for now I think pretty highly of the company :)

ATWindsor

Post by ATWindsor » Mon May 16, 2005 4:48 am

sgtpokey wrote:Nice product but I don't see what the major difference is vs the SmartDrive2002C. One thing I did note was the back connectors are less sound proofed than the SmartDrive's (The smart drive encloses even that with a lined rubberlike lip, and ideally you use a flat ide cable so that the lip envelopes all the cabling).

I am actually looking at MCube's Hi Fi passive case. Looks fun and they've already answered some of my questions via email so for now I think pretty highly of the company :)
I guess its difficult to say how they will hold up without testing, the smartdrive seemingly reduces noise by 4 db according to what i read, not a praticualry huge amount, maybe the Mcube is better?

AtW

nici

Post by nici » Mon May 16, 2005 5:15 am

Its the second HDD enclosure thats available in Finland, i have the other one. Mine cost 39.90€ wich is expensive enough, the mCubed costs 59.90€ :shock: Though it would seem like it could block noise better than the one i have...

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Mon May 16, 2005 6:05 am

I'm a happily biased SmartDrive user myself. I'd have a go at mCubed's though if the price difference wasn't so large (A US store 3dcool .com is selling them for 89 USD or something like that).

Sight unseen, they seem to have a good design shop with the thought they've put into their HTPC case.

johncl

Post by johncl » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:48 am

I have this HD cooler in an mCubed hfx case and think the temperature gets a bit too high after a while. According to the temperature reading inside SpeedFan (free monitoring sw) my HD0 reads 46 degrees celsius after a while. According to what I have read, a harddisk should be kept under 40 degrees to lessen the chance of failure.

Maybe the reading is faulty? My harddisk is a Samsung SpinPoint P120 250 GB 3,5".

Been thinking of changing it for a Samsung 120GB 2.5" instead and ditch the Vertical Silence totally.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:33 pm

Lower temps are of course better but 46C is not a critical temperature, on the other hand, maybe you should be a bit concerned about the temperature if it starts to rise under HD load, e.g. during a defrag.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:00 am

Now owning one of these too for a while i can say it does a pretty good job at reducing the noise. And the cable hole can be sealed pretty well with the neoprene(i think) sheet that inside the enclosure, just roll the edge a bit. It needs some airflow to cool well, but the heat-transfer from the hDD to the enclosure works well, and i only noticed a 2-3c drop in temps when adding thermal goop between hdd and enclosure, not worth the mess :wink:

johncl

Post by johncl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:37 am

Well, the HD idles at about 48 degrees after 8 hours and I think thats a bit too high. It rises even higher when it is active (havent read the temps yet). A bit disappointing since I chose this Samsung Spinpoint drive because they say it doesnt generate as much heat as the competition. Since the HD is placed directly above the DVD drive it seems that when the DVD is spinning at high speed the temps can rise considerably. At least it seems to affect the CPU temps considerably (with AOpen supplied CPU cooler, waiting for Borg heatpipe cooler for the CPU).

I've now read that there is a Borg heatpipe kit that can be used with the Vertical Silence to transfer the heat off the box to the heatsinks of my mCubed hFX case. Thinking of ordering that too some day.