Removing HDD cage in Antec 3700BQE for suspension, possible?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vEnEx

Removing HDD cage in Antec 3700BQE for suspension, possible?

Post by vEnEx » Sat May 21, 2005 8:14 am

Hey all.

I have an Antec 3700BQE for a couple of days now. I want to suspend my HDD. I only got one, so it's pretty much ok to do it. I have some elastic material and all.

I tried to build something, the HDD hanging on one of de HDD cage slots for this 3700BQE, but then I discovered that the HDD is still touching the HDD cage. Which is no good.

Now I'm asking if it is possible to remove the entire HDD cage on the Antec 3700BQE? I've come across a post where people suggest it is possible, but I'm not sure. Especially cause I think the HDD cage is supporting the upper FDD cage. Think it has something to do with stability, no?

Is there someone who had allready done this? And if yes, how would I remove the entire HDD cage, cause it's attached through the case on the bottom with some special 'roundings'. It isn't made to be removed for sure. But would it be possible, or allready done?

Thanks.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat May 21, 2005 8:24 am

it's possible, just a real pain. I did it to mine. The cage is riveted in, so you can take some pliers and try and rip them off, or a nail and hammer it throught the rivet from the outside of the case going in. I found the hammer/nail approach to work better.

I didn't notice a huge improvement though suspended with elastic, however.

vEnEx

Post by vEnEx » Sat May 21, 2005 8:34 am

Badger wrote:I didn't notice a huge improvement though suspended with elastic, however.
Hmm, I might not wanna try this then :) But thanks for the fast reply!

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Sat May 21, 2005 9:18 am

vEnEx wrote:
Badger wrote:I didn't notice a huge improvement though suspended with elastic, however.
Hmm, I might not wanna try this then :) But thanks for the fast reply!
I told you to get the AMB didn't I :P
You could just lay your HD on some foam like a spounge or somehting

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat May 21, 2005 9:59 am

According to the review of the slk3700bqe the sideways cage raises hd temperatures significantly compared to the slk3700amb. Because the sideways cage blocks airflow removing it would lower both hd and case temperatures.

vEnEx

Post by vEnEx » Sat May 21, 2005 10:03 am

true, but I allready bought the BQE :?

Don't worry, I'm thinking of some other possibilities. Ow, and it's not because the HDD is making too much noise, it's a Seagate you see. It's just that it needs some cooling, cause temp is climbing up fast if you ask me. And I don't like hot temperatures.

That's why I suspended a fan under the HDD to cool things down.

Thing is: the fan is blowing right on to the HDD rail, which doesn't let much air through

So is it ok to insert the HDD upside down? So the air hits the top of the HDD, instead of the HDD rail? Cause I'm not sure if it's ok to 'hang' a HDD on its screws. Normally the HDD rests on its screws, but vice versa?

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat May 21, 2005 10:42 am

Why don't you place the hd on the lower position and suspend the fan from above blowing down?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 21, 2005 10:56 am

You could do what I did with my BQE cage. It got rid of the airflow issue, made room for a suspended drive, and kept the framework of the HDD cage to stiffen and reinforce the rest of the drive cages:

vEnEx

Post by vEnEx » Sat May 21, 2005 3:44 pm

Michael Sandstrom wrote:Why don't you place the hd on the lower position and suspend the fan from above blowing down?
I realised that, but then it would be blowing right onto the "shiny surface" of the HDD. Would that be any effective? Since I thought you had to blow on the lower part of your HDD where all chips and other things are? I might be wrong about this one :wink:
Ralf Hutter wrote:You could do what I did with my BQE cage. It got rid of the airflow issue, made room for a suspended drive, and kept the framework of the HDD cage to stiffen and reinforce the rest of the drive cages
I guess you used some dremel tools to do that? (which I don't have). If not, is there another way? And ... I'm not pretty sure about cutting into the case main parts. If I do that, there's no way of selling it again if I'm planning to buy me another case (which will not be necessary for the next couple of years, since this case roxx, but still :D). Bye the way, I'm a fan of your setup Ralf ^^ that's some nice, clean, mean machine.

And to get back on my general question: Is it ok to put a HDD upside down, so it is held by its screws?

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat May 21, 2005 4:24 pm

I do not think upside down mounting will cause any problem based on discussions in this forum. Also the picture of Ralf's PC shows that the slk3700bqe hd cages will install upside down.

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Sat May 21, 2005 4:43 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Image
God Ralf I wish my case looked that neat. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 22, 2005 9:15 am

vEnEx wrote:If not, is there another way?
tin snips.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun May 22, 2005 9:37 am

Here is a BQE/Sonata drive tray mounting system that works extremely well in isolationg the drive.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10450

vEnEx

Post by vEnEx » Sun May 22, 2005 12:50 pm

Looks nice. Might wanna try thatone out. Thanks all.