Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) 74GB Raptor

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dynamiks

Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) 74GB Raptor

Post by dynamiks » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:38 pm

How do you know which Raptors are the new models, and which are the old? I would like to check mine to see which version I have.

Supposedly the older models which are Ball Bearing are louder. Since my Raptor seems pretty loud to me (only during seeking). I am wondering if I have the older model. Is there any serial number or something on the drive itself that would indicate which version I have?

EDIT: I just read in the SPCR review for the Raptor that any drive produced after Jan. 2005 is going to be an FDB. I just finished checking the date on my Raptor and it was marked April 14, 2004. So I'm guessing I probably have a Ball Bearing model, which is probably the reason my Raptor is louder than most other people. Since alot of people say theres isn't loud.

Thanks.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Re: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) 74GB Raptor

Post by Shining Arcanine » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:14 pm

Yours might be defective as all of the 74GB Raptors are FDB. Western Digital introduced FDB motors to the Raptor line via the 74GB model.

dynamiks

Re: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) 74GB Raptor

Post by dynamiks » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Shining Arcanine wrote:Yours might be defective as all of the 74GB Raptors are FDB. Western Digital introduced FDB motors to the Raptor line via the 74GB model.
I doubt mine is defective, but maybe I'm just being more picky than others about the noise. I mean I've seen people here say they can hardly hear the seeks. I dunno what Raptor they are using, but the seeks are clearly audible, and they are very sharp unlike my Samsung which has lower pitched seeks which are audible, but much less annoying.

My case is also dead silent minus the Raptor. I can't even hear my computer over my Air Conditioner. And when the AC shuts off (its temp controlled) you still cannot even hear the computer unless you get really close to it, then you hear the light hum of my low speed fans. So maybe thats why all of a sudden my Raptor seems pretty loud, is because everything else is almost in audible.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:21 pm

the seeks arent inaudible at all.

its the idle. the seeks are pronounced just not jarring.

and i understood Mike to say that there were some 74 gig drives that had non FDBearings in them.

although if you had one, youd need an ear examination if you considered them to be quite *WHINE SCREEEEEEEEE* not that bad but well, think scsi sounds.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:31 pm

Though I've never owned a Raptor, according to reports from SPCR its seeks are much louder than my WD Scorpio notebook drive and my Seagate Barracuda IV, which are both pretty damn loud even suspended. I don't know, but I'm really beginning to think its people's sensitivities that are often to blame for differences in perceived "quietness" or "inaudibility". I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, it's just something that I've repeatedly come across. The only truly quiet drive I've ever come across is my 3600RPM 5GB CF Card drive.

Also something I've noticed is that loud idle can mask medium-loud seeks and give the perception of quiet due to the acoustic smoothness.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:11 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:the seeks arent inaudible at all.

its the idle. the seeks are pronounced just not jarring.

and i understood Mike to say that there were some 74 gig drives that had non FDBearings in them.

although if you had one, youd need an ear examination if you considered them to be quite *WHINE SCREEEEEEEEE* not that bad but well, think scsi sounds.
I guess those were mistakes at the factory as all of the 74GB Raptor hard drives are supposed to be FDB. The 74GB Raptors introduced the FDBs to the Raptor line. Considering that the Raptors use (mostly) the same parts and (possibly) the same firmware as the Caviars, I don't think it is impossible for the people at the factory to have accidentally used a BB motor in a batch of Raptors or two.
cotdt wrote:Though I've never owned a Raptor, according to reports from SPCR its seeks are much louder than my WD Scorpio notebook drive and my Seagate Barracuda IV, which are both pretty damn loud even suspended. I don't know, but I'm really beginning to think its people's sensitivities that are often to blame for differences in perceived "quietness" or "inaudibility". I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, it's just something that I've repeatedly come across. The only truly quiet drive I've ever come across is my 3600RPM 5GB CF Card drive.

Also something I've noticed is that loud idle can mask medium-loud seeks and give the perception of quiet due to the acoustic smoothness.
It is background noise. I live in the suburbs and right now I have my ceiling fan and air conditioner on, and my PC is inaudible. If they turned them off, my PC would suddenly become the loudest thing in the room (and unacceptably loud at that). I'd love it if my air conditioner was quieter but sadly noise output doesn't seem to be a major consideration of air conditioner manufacturers.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:54 am

Here's a far more indepth analysis of the Rapto than the official SPCR review;
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10315&

darthan

Post by darthan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:11 pm

Ball Bearing or FDB motors have no effect on seek noise. The seek noise comes from moving the heads which are moved by a voice coil. BB vs FDB only affects idle noise because those bearings are the bearings that the spindle that carries the platter(s) sits on.

The heads are on the end of an arm that is mounted to the drive frame by some sort of axle and bearings but that is not what is specified by describing a drive as FDB or BB. FDB and BB refer solely to the spindle bearings.

It is entirely possible for WD to have updated the Raptor over its lifespan so that the head actuator system is quieter but it wouldn't be part of the advertised specs (unless you can find the drive blueprints/designs and compare them over time).

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:45 pm

I believe that I have the answer for about half of these hd issues:

many hardrives in the same model suck, some are more silent.

I really found this out in a bad way when i purchased 3 drives from ibm that were supposedly the same, they werent in noise! very different whines to them.

now with fdb though I am guessing this is less of an issue.