What do you think of the Nexus Drive-A-Way?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

james111

What do you think of the Nexus Drive-A-Way?

Post by james111 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:02 pm

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:23 pm

This has already been discussed, as can be found with the search function.

james111

Post by james111 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:29 am

Shadowknight wrote:This has already been discussed, as can be found with the search function.
Do you have a link? maybe i'm blind, but I just did a search and saw nothing about the drive a way...

JonV

Post by JonV » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:49 am

I own two, but I don't use them. They do seem to silence general idle noise fairly well, but they do next to nothing to dampen vibrations and seek noise, and they're so big they'll only fit mounted in the 5.25" bays of my P180, where vibrations carry too well. They're not very good at keeping temperatures down either.

The good thing about them is the build quality and general "feel" of a solid product, and the good looks. I'd definitely consider them for external use, if you're in a situation where you can route SATA and power cables directly.

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:02 pm

JonV wrote:I own two, but I don't use them. They do seem to silence general idle noise fairly well, but they do next to nothing to dampen vibrations and seek noise, and they're so big they'll only fit mounted in the 5.25" bays of my P180, where vibrations carry too well. They're not very good at keeping temperatures down either.

The good thing about them is the build quality and general "feel" of a solid product, and the good looks. I'd definitely consider them for external use, if you're in a situation where you can route SATA and power cables directly.
I'd agree with that. I use my Drive-A-Way as a portable drive using an IDE to USB adapter. The great build quality and internal foam/rubber should protect the drive, and it does reduce noise to a certain extent. Overall it's the best portable HDD case I've found, it replaced an "Icybox" enclosure that fell to pieces during transport and blocked no noise at all.

Inside a case I can still clearly hear seek noise and some idle noise with a 3.5" drive inside the Nexus, something I'm no longer willing to put up with. I think that home made suspension and maybe some case damping would probably be just as effective at reducing drive noise. Personally I've switched from trying to find 3.5" drive silencing solutions to using nice and quiet 2.5" drives.