HamaZ

SCSI enclosure with good sound isolation

Post by HamaZ » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:37 am

Hi to every reader.

I have this situation:

GEAR: Five 18GB 10000RPM SCSI drives, 80pin models and some RAID controller
INTENDED SETUP: A home workstation with these drives
PRIMARY CONCERN: Silence.

I want to make this setup but I want to make it silent like it isn't there. Since I know very little about SCSI enclosures, cases and cages, I would appreciate all advices about what to look for, and I would also appreciate recommendations to concrete products.

My PC is a full tower (4x5.25 + 3x3.5), and I also have a spare empty space below the 3.5" cage. So is there some internal sound-isolated (and of course self-cooled) cage for me?

I also have nothing against external ones, too. But I want it to be as small as possible.

I would not buy anything new since there are no such things to buy in my country, or anywhere near it. I have intended to buy it second-hand from EBay if there are such things there. That is one reason why I need it small. There are other reasons too.

mikellpp

Post by mikellpp » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:12 am

Since your primary concern is silence, the best solution is an external box for your SCSI drives connected by an external SCSI cable.

I have my SCSI drive box with a 15K Fujitsu, connected to my pc by a 10 foot cable and it sits in an adjoining closet where the noise is completely silenced.

I got the box and cable on ebay for $40 total. You can buy a longer scsi cable if you need one (the spec for SCSI Ultra 320/160 is up to 12 meters and 16 devices).

Its the only way to achieve zero hard drive noise.

HamaZ

Post by HamaZ » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:03 am

Unfortunately my room setup is such that I do not have any closet, drawer or similiar object close to my working desk.

Aren't there any SCSI enclosures built with good sound isolation (and proper cooling of course)?

Can at least anybody give me names of some SCSI enclosure makers, and I will check their products.