Smart Drive 2002c in the UK

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Smart Drive 2002c in the UK

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:27 am

Does anyone know of where to get one of these in the UK?

Flexo

Post by Flexo » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:27 am

I tried getting one of these back in september, emailed KustomPCS and QuietPC.com to see if they had any plans to order some, but they were happy with the harddrive silencers they already had. It seems they are only available in the US and Japan, not anywhere in Europe.

Settled for the Scythe Silent box instead from Quiet PC.com. Can't here anything from my SP120 200gb now even with case open and my ear right up to the Box. Temperatures inside do climb over a long period but never go over 41C. My only complaint are the heat pads that stick on the aluminium heatlane. They're a bit flimsy + I think something else could do a better job of conducting the heat. Might look for something else to replace them if I get round to it.

Hope that helps.

ACOUSTIC CASEC6607b + 2 NEXUS 120 FANS (FRONT & BACK) | ATHLON 64 3700+ SAN DIEGO CPU | SCYTHE SCNJ-1000 NINJA HEATSINK + NEXUS 120 FAN | ASUS A8N-E MOBO WITH ZALMAN ZM-NB47J + NEXUS 120 | SAPPHIRE X800XL ULTIMATE VGA | SEASONIC S-12 430W PSU | OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200 REV 2 | SAMSUNG SP120 200GB (SP2004C) HD RESTING ON ACOUSTIC FOAM INSIDE SCYTHE SILENT BOX | PIONEER DVR-A09XLB DVD/RW | MCUBED T BALANCER XL

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:18 am

I'm in the same boat as you. Can't get the "SMART DRIVE 2002 Copper" in South Africa and no online retailer that I've tried, accept paypal from/or ship to South Africa. The suppliers here are also not very interested in importing silent components. I'm thinking that my only option is to ask someone from SPCR (with PayPal account) to buy me one and send it via DHL.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:54 am

Thanks to you both, im gonna try and get hold of another drive quiter anoying as it is.

the.dazzler

Post by the.dazzler » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:55 am

Hi there Fat_bloater_dave - I'm also in the UK.

I have e-mailed the Japanese company that makes the 2002C a few months ago but haven't received a reply.

Archeon in another thread pointed out that http://www.siliconacoustics.com/driven.html ship worldwide. This would make it $100 for one and $180 for two to the UK. There would also be customs charges on top.

I haven't bought any yet because of the price but I'm also not yet ready to compromise and buy any other product because the 2002C does stand out as the best.

What we need is a UK distributor.

Al

Post by Al » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:16 am

Perhaps if we raised enough support from SPCR members in the UK we could petition QuietPC or KustomPCs or even (dare I say it) Overclockers.co.uk? My name would certainly be on the list.

Al

*EDIT* Just found Flexo's original post on the QuietPC forum - not a single reply! Perhaps a more coordinated approach is required...

Archeon

Post by Archeon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:55 pm

the.dazzler wrote: What we need is a UK distributor.
I agree. I don't understand why no distributor in Europe has interest in this product. I think it's already been proven enough now that there is a market for this stuff. Don't they understand that silence enthusiasts are true freaks that are willing to pay a price premium (within reason) for their hardware? :)