Fairly fast file transfer
Streams video well

Cons.....
Uses propriatory format on the drives
Only can use certain newer drives
Runs hot in use (fry eggs?)
Difficult configuration (for me anyway)
Poor mfg support.....the netgear forums tell the story

I'm still playing with it. It could be modded to run cooler....by the addition of vent holes(it has none), or maybe a small fan on the bottom and vents on the top. The software is questionable.....perhaps a new version will be better. (I'm running the latest on the Netgear website).
Last edited by Bluefront on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:57 pm

Good luck with it! I decided against it after all the negative reviews and built a linux file server out of old parts instead. Keep us updated as to how it works out.

|Romeo|

Post by |Romeo| » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:19 pm

I heard from a friend of a friend (not a particularly reliable source) that the drivers are really wonky, and that it needs 5 or 6 IP address'. If you don't mind me asking Bluefront, does it actually take more than one?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:40 pm

|Romeo|......from the start I'm only using the latest firmware, and utility. Maybe I avoided earlier problems. There was no manual ip address needed....it's all automatic.

The SC101 is attached (cat5) to a Belkin wireless router, which it attached to the other computers hard-wired via cat5. My laptop uses a ZyXel pcmcia 802.11g card to connect to the Belkin router....and from there to the SC101. Everything works well so far....fingers crossed.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:55 pm

Ok...Here's my SC101 fan cooler, made from an aluminum document holder, a Mad Dog HD cooler, an external voltage adjustable brick power supply.

The Mad Dog is mounted in the frame with adhesive foam....it's soft-mounted so no vibrations are transferred. At 6V the SC101 with two 7200rpm drives stays room temp. I don't think it's necessary to fan cool the top. The large aluminum heatsink of the SC101q transfers heat well....airflow on the bottom does the trick and looks stock. This unit would probably run cool enough at 3V or so......almost inaudable. Cheap solution....warranty intact.