Maxtor or Hitachi ?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lusitano

Maxtor or Hitachi ?

Post by Lusitano » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:54 am

I have given up of Western Digital HDD's :( I've bought a WD3000JB PATA drive and it produced a high-frequency whistle noise while reading/writing, but not in idle mode. That tone was horrible, I couldn't stand it even inside a closed enclosure with fan noise behind. I had to return it to store and ask for a refund. They said the noise was normal for these Caviar SE drives :shock:
The drive with FDB motor creates much noise than my old 120GB WD drive :?

Now I want to choose between Maxtor and Hitachi. I have an old 20GB Maxtor HDD and it never failed, although it has that "scratching" like noise, but that noise I can stand. I don't know about Hitachi but from the mp3's I've heard with the acoustic noise, it seems to have also some whistle noise too.

I don't plan to buy Seagate HDD's, but Samsung is a possibility.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:34 pm

Why are you ruling out Seagate? It doesn't matter anyways, because the quietest 3.5" drives are generally made by Samsung. If you give us the size and interface you are looking for, we would be able to help with some specific recommendations. :D

Lusitano

Post by Lusitano » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:25 am

I'm looking for a PATA drive with 250GB (8MB cache).

dexton

Post by dexton » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:00 am

Just got a T7K250... very quiet (more so than my 120GB 7200.7). A touch of whine at idle when listenning up close, but not from outside the case. Im running it in the lower P180 cage. Also MUCH quieter seeks than the 7200.7 but I guess Samsung has even quieter seeks and also just a tad quieter at idle. But you cant tell the difference when put in the P180 with these additional mods:
http://aegd.cjb.net/dexton/osorterat/Dsc00432_800.jpg
http://aegd.cjb.net/dexton/osorterat/Dsc00754_800.jpg

and as far as I could tell from benchmarks at Storagereview and other places, Samsung has a hard time keeping up. This seems to be true for Seagate also, but they seem to have picked up in the performance department recently.

Johan