high temps for wd2000js?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rclayton17

high temps for wd2000js?

Post by rclayton17 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:46 pm

according to everest, my wd2000js (western digital caviar 200gb sata2) is at about 50C on startup, and went to about 54-55C.
my case is an antec sonata2 with the rear fan on medium.
this is so strange because my dad's seagate drives are like 34C each.

however, on the SMART section of everest, for the seagates it says the "worst" is 43C

for the WD it says "worst" is 84C.

Also, i have an asus dualsata2 mobo, which isn't fully functionaly with everest, so that may be a problem.

scandium

Post by scandium » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 pm

Heh that's actually not too bad considering that after installing my 1600JS, and formatting it, HD Thermometre then reported a 63C peak temp about 20% of the way through a surface scan (at that point I killed the program and shut down the PC for the night).

Removed my Maxtor 60 GB from the same drive cage (which also runs between 55-60C) the next morning and I still couldn't complete the surface scan without hitting 60C. So another shutdown, bought a Vantec Iceberq under drive cooler and its now happily operating in the 49-55C.

For perspective its installed in a less than ideally ventilated matx case but I'm viewing the opportunity to get it under 50C always as a challenge (within the whole spirit of going matx). The Maxtor Diamondmax 9 drives, which my 60 is, are known to run hot so I don't really care about that drive (its old anyway).

WD lists the maximum operating temp as 55C but a white paper I read in another thread on hd heat shows that the slope of the MTBF curve increases with temperature and anything over 50C is definitely not good (even over 40C isn't good but these new SATA2 drives all seem to run fairly hot). I recommend the Vantec Iceberq cooler: screws on under the drive, and uses a quiet 70 mm fan specified at < 26 dBA along with an aluminum casing for heatsinking. Cost me $16 Cdn and though it hasn't completely solved the heat issue for me, it definitely helped and may be all you need (or else some other active or passive cooling solution - lots of options to choose from out there).

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:31 pm

Have you tried turning off the computer and try touching the hdd? if it is 40 C, it should feel a little warm. 60+ would feel fairly hot.

I don't really trust the sensors anymore. For some reason, my drives are shown as 20 degrees each. (One hooked up to a sata slot. The other IDE slot.) I know this is false because the drives are a little warm when I touch them. You might get a more accurate reading if you have a infrared temperature gun.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:31 pm

if your drives are indeed running 55c or higher for extended periods of time, you could be looking at drive failure in the near future.

i had a hard drive in a smartdrive2002 that wasnt in the path of the case airflow, and instead up in the 5.25" bays with the optical drives. it worked fine for over a year, but then one summer we lost AC in the building for a month, and ambient temps in the rooms were in the high 90's. my hard drive failed 3 weeks into the loss of AC in the building.

most manufacturers list a maximum temp for 3.5" drives at around 55c, some are 60 but most are 55c.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:17 pm

If he has 50C at startup most likely the thermal probe is off. There is no way a hard drive can be 50C at startup. They are fairly inertive and it takes them at least 3-5 minutes to become warm (assuming they don't have any airflow over them at all).

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:58 am

I recently built a Sonata II for a friend with WD disks and their temp is always less than 37c. Your sensor is definitely wrong.

deksawyer

Post by deksawyer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:03 am

I kinda have the feeling that WD temps are reported incorrectly.

For example, my new build has a WD WDC WD1600JS-60MHB1 160GB sata as system drive (first 30GB) and a Maxtor 6Y120M0 120GB sata as storage. Currently, as reported by Speedfan, the WD is 52°C and the Maxtor is 35°C.

Both are in the path of the 120mm intake fan with the WD up top. Both feel identical to the touch.

I have a WD and a Maxtor in my HTPC and it has the same results.

I'd be interested to know where the temp sensor on each drive is located....any ideas?

D.

scandium

Post by scandium » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:02 pm

The temp sensor on my WD 1600JS is definitely wrong. I got it in my head today to try a ghetto mod (or prototype as its only temporary :) ) so shut everything down, popped the side off, made a foam gasket (thin pink mb packing foam) for the fan and attached it to the case side using tie wraps (if it weren't for the pink foam & white tie wraps on black case it'd be invisible... but you can clearly see both and its not pretty :D ).

Anyway, in the 10-15 mins that it took to do this the system had cooled down completely and after plugging the newly mounted fan in I left the side off just to make sure everything spun up ok while I booted Windows, then glanced at hd thermometer and it was reading 44C for the WD and 46C for my Maxtor. The WD was cool to the touch and the Maxtor felt a little warm.

Given that the side was off, the WD has a Vantec Iceberq hd cooler mounted right below (blowing cool air directly onto the bottom of it with its 70 mm fan) room temp was about 20C (mbm 5 reported sys temp @ 22C), Windows had only just booted, and the the drive was cool to the touch, there is no way the WD could have been anywhere near 44C. Maybe 30C tops.

Right now in the same 20C room after the system's been idling all evening the WD is reporting 49C (PC temp is 27C, CPU temp is 25C). The cpu & system temps look reasonable (OCed Sempron 2500 1.4 GHz @ 1.93 GHz but it runs very cool even OCd, and now has an 80 mm fan blowing right onto the hsf) but the HD readings have to be wrong: its an matx case I'm using but one of the larger ones (similar in size and shape to the classic AT "minitowers"), in addition to the Iceberq there are 3 80 mm fans running at full speed - one intake, side ,& exhaust - plus the antec vcool under my x700 Pro which is bringing in another 15 cfm, plus the 120 mm PSU exhaust. This is quite a bit of cooling for a matx case, far more than you'd find in a similar form factor OEM prebuild (as well I have all cabling tied & tucked for minimal airflow impedence) and I don't see how an OC'd Sempron (1.4 GHz to 1.93 GHz) can be running at 25C, with PC at 27C while the hard drive in its own little cage away from all heat sources and having the Iceberq blowing on it can be at the 49C its reporting right now.

The noise of all these fans running at full is a little excruciating but I wanted to confirm as well as I could that the sensor can't be right (tomorrow, or later tonight my fanbus I'd temporarily removed goes back in so I can have some sanity back). The HD temp reading I'll ignore, and a false reading there is no big deal anyway... its actually preferable to a correct reading showing the 50-55C range I'd been seeing since installing the drive 4 nights ago.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:43 pm

@rclayton17: i do have a WD2000JS and a Sonata 2, yes it can reach 55 degrees sometimes, i friend of mine told me higher-capacity drives tend to heat a bit more.

plus, i removed all the drive trays and suspended it since it's vibrating....i wonder if yours vibrate too?

my WD2000JS is usually between 46-51 degrees (Celcius). it's suspended in the lowest part of the hard disk cage, beside the air intake where the filter is, and i don't have a front 120mm fan installed. and i do have the ACAG installed used as passive cooling (i wonder if there's even air being passively sucked inside this thing...)

i think i've made a really bad choice is taking a Sonata 2....since they were saying "quiet computing", i tought my computer would really be quiet, but i guess there's a limit of being quiet while powered-on....as Antec says: "a 100% quiet computer is a powered-off computer".

but hey...here's a question, SATA2 hard-disks are compatible with SATA1 too? they use the same type of connection?

scandium

Post by scandium » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:48 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:but hey...here's a question, SATA2 hard-disks are compatible with SATA1 too? they use the same type of connection?
Yes, as well there's also a jumper on the back of the 2000JS to force SATA1 mode.

Regarding the temps: based on my experience and that of others in this thread I don't think these temp readings are accurate. My 1600JS reported 46C after Windows bootup, in the coolest part of my case, with the side off, no other hds near it and a Vantec Iceberq (which uses aluminum heatsinking + a 70 mm fan blowing under the drive) attached to it; and the drive was cool to the touch so it couldn't have been 46C (which would have felt warm).

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:50 am

<minor nitpick>sata-2 doesn't exist as a standard</minor nitpick>. however if you meant sata running at 300MB/s then yes the pin out is exactly the same, the cables are the same and the controllers / disks are all backward compatible.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:52 am

so i can connect a SATA2 on a SATA1 cable?

scandium

Post by scandium » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:13 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:so i can connect a SATA2 on a SATA1 cable?
Yes. This hard drive also has a jumper on back (near the SATA connectors and labeled on the sticker on top of the drive) to force SATA1 compatability (because some hd/mb combinations have problems with the "autosensing" and without the jumper you can have the drive operating at 3Gb/s and mb @ 1.5 Gb/s which is not good... simply using the jumper to force the drive into sata1 mode avoids any possible such problems).

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:45 pm

that's good
so i'll be sure to buy a Seagate SATA drive next time, since they seem to be the most silent drives