HDD Plan-Comments/Help Please

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rachner

HDD Plan-Comments/Help Please

Post by Rachner » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:56 am

Since my last post I've done more research and have given up on RAID....too many potential probs for the benefit I would receive. So now I'm faced with a single drive or JBOD decision.

Plan A:74gb Raptor for OS and need for speed programs and 2nd data drive...probably a 250gb WD Cav SE16 Sata 3gb/s. (total cost on newegg $230) (side question for those who do this...do you set up a separate OS partition on your raptor and how big if you do...OS will be XP Pro 32bit)

Plan B:Single big drive like 400gb Cav SE16 WD4000KD Sata 1.5gb/s which in recent articles are pretty fast (though not Raptors) and create several partitions. ($180 with rebate at newegg)

I've had some suggest the 150gb Raptor but its speed increase over 74 not enough to justify the $281 and I would probably need a 2nd drive for data and video so even more $.

Also since I'm not going Raid 1, any recommendations for a simple backup program I can use with my external HDD. Need it to do scheduled nightly backups so I don't forget.

Lots of questions but any help with any or all of these would be appreciated.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Re: HDD Plan-Comments/Help Please

Post by kentc » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:08 pm

Rachner wrote:I've had some suggest the 150gb Raptor but its speed increase over 74 not enough to justify the $281 and I would probably need a 2nd drive for data and video so even more $.
i like the single drive approach from a noise perspective... i've seen WD4000KD and hitachi 7K500 come in very close to the old 36/74g raptors in real world applications, still beaten by the new 150g though! ofcourse i have to recommend you to decouple them somehow, suspend if possible. cooling a potential problem with suspended hot running disk like raptors!

although i must add if your intention is to edit and/or encode video the two drive approach would boost your performance significantly!
Rachner wrote:Also since I'm not going Raid 1, any recommendations for a simple backup program I can use with my external HDD. Need it to do scheduled nightly backups so I don't forget.

Lots of questions but any help with any or all of these would be appreciated.
somewhat ot i guess but i've used veritas backup products quite a lot, a lot of fiddling initially but then it serves you very well for ever. i think veritas was bought by or partner with symantec these days?

regards, kent.

toNka

Post by toNka » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:47 pm

I use a 74GB Raptor as my HDD internally.
Anything I want to access frequently I keep on the Raptor.
I have an external 250GB WD I keep all my big stuff on (video, back ups, ect.).
I partitioned 14GB of the Raptor for Windows and Program Files.
The remaining 60GB is my D:\ drive.
I keep my favorite audio files, pictures, videos, and installs in that partition.
Works great for me.
Everything is pretty snappy :)
You could get one of those new Raptor 150GBs.
As long as you suspend them or put them on sorbothane their quiet.

arrikhan

Post by arrikhan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:35 am

kentc wrote:somewhat ot i guess but i've used veritas backup products quite a lot, a lot of fiddling initially but then it serves you very well for ever. i think veritas was bought by or partner with symantec these days?

regards, kent.
Yes, symantec bought out veritas, but what product of there's do you use? The current site just directs you to Ghost. Are you using a Netbackup derivative?

PS: I'm looking for a backup util that does both Windows/Linux ..

Arrikhan

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Sat May 13, 2006 8:03 am

sorry it's taken me so long to answer...
arrikhan wrote:
kentc wrote:somewhat ot i guess but i've used veritas backup products quite a lot, a lot of fiddling initially but then it serves you very well for ever. i think veritas was bought by or partner with symantec these days?
Yes, symantec bought out veritas, but what product of there's do you use? The current site just directs you to Ghost. Are you using a Netbackup derivative?
yes, i used to work with platforms built on sun servers and netbackup.

regards, kent.

Raygers

Post by Raygers » Sat May 13, 2006 8:33 am

This won't help with the Linux question but I've tried a number of backup programs, free and otherwise, and I decided on Cobian Backup http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
It's free and does a great job for me, set it and forget it.

Ray