Scythe Quiet Drive enclosure, it´s good :)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:38 am

sub wrote:totaly inaudible ?
That's a tall order. Essentially inaudible, inside a PC case, yes, especially if it is not mechanically coupled to the case.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:26 am

I agree, as it seems to me that the quiet drive is perfect for 5400-5900 rpm drives (but doesn't work quite as well for 7200rpm plus drives because of added vibration...which often amplifies reads and writes).

I recommend foam to get rid of vibrations..

sub

Post by sub » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Yeah I understand, inaudible like a SSD will be difficult, but from your review I can expect somethink like -3db, coupled with a quiet hdd I'll think it will be a cheap alternative to ssd.

And if it's not enough I can always seal it with sanitary silicon.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! :lol:

Anyway, a quiet HDD + the quiet drive + decoupling it from the case = pretty damn quiet.

I haven't even bothered with these things anymore, just a WD Green lying on some foam inside the case. Then again i am less obsessed with reducing noise now than what... four years ago when i tested these things. :wink:

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:52 am

sub wrote:hi,

Do you think with a new silent drive like the WD Caviar Green 5400tr (idle 13 dBA@1m seek 14 dBA@1m) inside, the hdd will be totaly inaudible ?
Depends on YOUR definition of inaudible. I had a Caviar Green inside the SQD decoupled on foam in an Antec P182 and I could still hear it once I got an SSD for OS/Apps.

Also, in my experience with 5 SQDs in various setups and numerous cases, if you screw it to the case, it acts as a giant vibration amplifier, resulting in ridiculous noise. It needs to be decoupled. The 5.25" version is neither as tall nor as wide as an optical drive if you leave off the mouting brackets, so decoupling in a single 5.25" Slot is possible. I usually put it in the lowest one and install an optical drive above it to sandwhich it in there.