- 1 Bicycle tire inner tube (punctured or not). Thinner is better
- 2 wooden sticks (10 x 1 x 0.5 cm) or something similar
- 1 earplug (optional)

Tools:
- scissors
- super glue
- duct tape

Instructions:
1. Use scissors to cut the bicycle tire in long straps about 7 mm wide. Make 2 straps.
2. Glue 2 wooden sticks on Antec's sliding HDD trays, as on the pictures below.
3. Cut the straps to proper length (see note below). Insert first strap through two front tray holes. Use duct tape to connect ends of the strap.
4. Use duct tape to connect ends of second strap.
5. (Optional) Use scissors to cut earplug in four parts. Glue it on sides of Sonata's HDD holder to prevent disk bumping into it

Note: It might be a little hard to correctly estimate the length of the straps.
- Since more weight is on the second strap, it should be about 3 mm shorter.
- The disk should hover about 1 cm from bottom of tray.
- The straps will probably stretch when you insert HDD into them. Mine stretch 0.5 cm on both sides. The disk can barely be inserted into straps without stretching them.

I forgot pictures of earplugs... maybe tomorrow. But you can see them on the last picture, the little yellow things on both sides of HDD. They don't actually touch HDD, there is about 2 mm clearance..

ecto

Post by ecto » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:12 pm

Nice idea using bike tyre tube, never thought of that. Seems it would be a little more rigid than some sewing strap which I'd planned to use for my suspension. I think I'll try it someday - the only reason I haven't suspended my drives yet are that I'm afraid of the disks moving too much every time I bump my legs/feet into the computer (using it as a footstool).

I reckon your solution works well for you. Do you know how good you solution is, noise-wise, compared to other SPCR common materials used (sewing strap, elastic rubber band (textile-style used in clothes), sorbothane)?

mg2plus

Post by mg2plus » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:44 pm

ecto wrote:Do you know how good you solution is, noise-wise, compared to other SPCR common materials used (sewing strap, elastic rubber band (textile-style used in clothes), sorbothane)?
Well, I can't compare since I haven't tried those other solutions.

Before I had the problem of Sonata's side panel vibrating. It was quite loud. It vibrates much less if you press it with finger.

For the test, I tried stopping all the fans in my case (except the PSU - NeoHe 500), putting my ear next to the side panel and listen. The disk was idle.

There was a slight sound comming from the side panel, which dissapears when panel is pressed with finger. The sound was much quieter than NeoHe. Almost inaudible.

I also tried stopping all fans except that TriCool which you get with the case. My conclusion is that this fan causes more vibration than HDD.