Faulty Drive-a-Way Nexus enclosures and Nexus support

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alfred

Faulty Drive-a-Way Nexus enclosures and Nexus support

Post by alfred » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:01 am

Back in February 2006 I ordered three Nexus Drive-a-Way enclosures along with some other Nexus stuff on their online shop. A few days later, when preparing my drives inside the enclosures I discovered that two out of the three enclosures had the front and back plates switched (front was mounted at the position of back, and vice versa). This didn't allow the hard drives to be mounted correctly so I simply switched the plates using the screws; I also sent an email to Nexus and their dedicated online shop preventing them that some of their enclosures had this factory-assembling problem.

The real problem started this August when I tried to put a 2.5" HDD inside one of these Nexus enclosures. They're advertised as being fully compatible with 2.5" drives and all needed accessories are provided in each box. To my surprise, the Samsung MP0402H I just bought, didn't even start in the Nexus enclosure; I thought the hard disk was defective, went RMA and received a new Samsung MP0402H a few days later. I installed it in one of the other two Nexus enclosures, switched power on : still no idling.

At this point I discovered that the +5Volt and GROUND cables for feeding power to 2.5â€

sciberpunkt

Post by sciberpunkt » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Yikes.

I have a Samsung 2.5" drive in a Nexus box but opted for the SATA version that taps off the Molex connector for power. I don't think I would have ever figured out the reversed polarity issue had I gone with a PATA drive. Who knows how many were made like that.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:41 pm

That's ridiculous. They should compensate you to replace those killed drives. It's absolutely their fault.

alfred

Post by alfred » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Considering there were 2 unrelated assembling errors on these enclosures, I guess it was the "work" of an isolated employee who clearly wanted to create problems. What sounds strange to me is that I'd think Nexus should have known this since several months, but then how can we understand their emails... To Nexus' credit, I've got to say these 2 Samsung 2.5" drives within Drive-a-Way enclosures were the most silent HDDs I ever tested :wink:

Anyway -- I'll keep this topic updated if I ever get something new to add.

specofdust

Post by specofdust » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Very dissapointing to hear that a company that make such normally supurb products are behaving like this. Good luck getting it sorted, and keep us updated, I'm hoping that Nexus will prove themselves yet.

alfred

Post by alfred » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:55 am

Unfortunately nothing new since my first post Oct, 12.

specofdust

Post by specofdust » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 am

I'm not sure how seriously you want to get this sorted out, but if you want to try a last resort you could consider writing to them(as in, typed on paper, send by recorded delivery). That way they have to sign for its receipt, and I imagine they're less likely to ignore it.

alfred

Re: Faulty Drive-a-Way Nexus enclosures and Nexus support

Post by alfred » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:43 am

Well as I said earlier
alfred wrote:I'm not posting this because I want a EUR 120 refund from Nexus.
To undertake actions, to wait, hope, be irritated etc, all this for only EUR 120...
My satisfaction is that this topic exists and keeps being read after several months by many people that are potential Nexus customers.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:29 pm

What country do you live in, oer here in the UK, I just send back and have replaced any dead items by the supplier at no expence except delivery, and how are they going to know what killed the drive, I dont see how you cant get th drives swapped at only the cost of delivery.

Thats pretty shit QC going on with the drive away, that should be the most important thing to check, nothing else will toast a drive.

Andy

alfred

Post by alfred » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 am

I'm living in Brussels, Belgium.

I don't want to send back these three enclosures because they are currently in use with 3.5" drives; I don't have any of the two 2.5" killed HDD (first one was RMA exchanged; the other one was sent to belgian recycling facilities). Furthermore, Nexus support didn't ask me to send anything (I would have done it otherwise); they didn't say they wanted to check the enclosures, nor examine the killed drives. I think the pictures showed the problem's source enough, so they didn't ask me to send back anything, when they were still answering something to my emails.

I think Nexus knows how the problem happened. I think they want to keep these informations internal. Maybe there was an intentional misbehavior by the man doing the quality control.

By the way, my preferences now goes to Scythe enclosures and Noctua fans.

oguzokay

Post by oguzokay » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:33 pm

I had a similar problem with nexus drive a way that burnt a 200 gb samsung hdd and lots of important data of mine. It s power entrance was designed so poorly that, I, without noticing plugged the 4 pin molex power in the opposite direction. As soon as I powered up my pc, my hdd died :(

alfred

Post by alfred » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:05 pm

oguzokay did you buy this Nexus Drive-a-Way enclosure around February, 2006 ? Also, did you contact Nexus support ? Thanks !