noises from new WD5000KS - normal or not?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stacey Melissa

noises from new WD5000KS - normal or not?

Post by Stacey Melissa » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:47 am

I just got a new WD5000KS from NewEgg, along with an Azio eSATA enclosure. I started copying 400GB of DVD rips from my existing 2x250GB Hitachi array to the WD over the eSATA connection.

After a few minutes, the drive started making occassional short buzzing noises, sort of like the sound a barber's hair clippers make. While this buzzing happened, the power/activity light on the enclosure went out. It didn't kill my data transfer, though. Perhaps the transfer paused briefly, but I have no way to tell.

After a few more minutes, it started sometimes making a loud click immediately after the buzz. It was the same click sound that it made when first spinning up, so it's gotta be the heads resetting, or something like that.

Then almost halfway through the data transfer, I started hearing repeated head resets. This went on intermittently for a few more minutes, until it did an extended string of resets, and locked up my machine. Flipping the power switch on the enclosure gave me back control of my PC.

I figured the same thing you're thinking now... Gotta be a faulty power system in the drive enclosure. So I shut down and installed the drive directly in my PC case. Both the buzzing and reset noises continue, though. Just not as frequently.

I checked the SMART status of the drive using SpeedFan, and it's fine except for a couple of warnings in the details. Those warnings are:

Warning: Reallocated Sector Count is below the average limits (200-200).
Warning: Reallocated Event Count is below the average limits (200-200).

So can anyone tell me whether such noises and behavior is normal for this drive? Should I keep it or RMA as defective?

Stacey Melissa

Post by Stacey Melissa » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Nevermind, SMART now explicitly says it's RMA time. :(

Apparently all the weird noises did have to do with the sector reallocation warnings. The number of reallocated sectors increased each time I heard the buzzing.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Backup everything while you can. And then stop using the drive for critical stuff.