Recommended External Enclosures?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

narrasuj

Recommended External Enclosures?

Post by narrasuj » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:08 pm

I know people have posted on this before, but everything I've searched for has come up with older information or specific applications. I'm looking for a quiet enclosure to connect to my iMac. I'm simply trying to add more storage space for my videos and other random things. I'd like something that allows as high a capacity as possible but still remains reasonably silent. (For reference to the iMac review, the only time I hear my iMac is around 3 in the morning, and usually it's just the fans.) I also know the acoustic properties will depend on the hard drive itself, but I was hoping to find out from everybody if any enclosures are specifically better at damping excess noise/vibration.

EDIT:
I looked up availability of the recommended enclosures and also found out what EndPCNoise.com had in stock and formed some questions:

Is the Nexus Drive-A-Way a reasonable performer? Does it keep the hard drive reasonably cool?

Are the Smart Drive and Silent Box still reasonable options? If so, what reliable site can I get these from?