Upgrading some Xbox drives

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IdontexistM8

Upgrading some Xbox drives

Post by IdontexistM8 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:53 am

I've managed to nab a couple of bargain original Xboxes in a sale for myself and a friend..so I'm looking to get us a hard drive each.

Now when I got my current Crystal Xbox modded I was able to get the quiet Samsung SV1604N. Obviously similar 5400rpm drives are no longer available...so what's recommended now?

My mate is less bothered about quiet components than me (well he does have a young son! :lol: ) and would be happy with something in the 120-200gb range.

Can anyone give some pointers?

Cheers..

wowimsocute

Post by wowimsocute » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 am

to me, the hard drive doesnt seem to make much noise in the xbox. i am guessing it is the power supply or fans inside that makes all the noise. now there is a project: silencing xbox fans.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:05 pm

wowimsocute wrote:to me, the hard drive doesnt seem to make much noise in the xbox. i am guessing it is the power supply or fans inside that makes all the noise. now there is a project: silencing xbox fans.
Ah we managed to get to grips with that in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=19433

Afraid I'm not up on the 360 situation and it's super-blowing output.

m0l0t0v

Post by m0l0t0v » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:12 pm

You should check out this site, under 'Xbox Hardware Addons/Modifications Guides', they have a 'Extra Cooling and Silent-mods' section which is interesting and I think you should check it out.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:45 pm

m0l0t0v wrote:You should check out this site, under 'Xbox Hardware Addons/Modifications Guides', they have a 'Extra Cooling and Silent-mods' section which is interesting and I think you should check it out.
Thanks I'm well versed with that site and a member of the forums.

In fact I should drop a post over there.

I've decided to get 160gb drives for both units. I just wish 5400rpms were still available.