16GB SSD RiDATA MSRP $170

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pipperoni

16GB SSD RiDATA MSRP $170

Post by pipperoni » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 am

This looks promising! Hopefully a small but competitive market will develop for SSD drives. There are a ton of computers that could still easily run on 16GB.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5645

miTchy

Post by miTchy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:58 pm

why dont they make a 3.5"

highlandsun

Post by highlandsun » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:16 pm

I'm more interested in seeing the price of this 128GB unit
http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36841

when it comes out. (And its read/write speed, of course.)

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:43 am

Maybe I just don't understand the basics of this, but aren't these just fancy USB flash drives underneath? They're using the same NAND based technology that we find in our flash drives today, and many people know that flash drives have a limited number of read/writes.

Will SSD drives be limited to a finite number of read/writes? From my experience, exisiting hard drive technology (when built properly) has the potential for a longer working lifetime than a USB flash drive.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:53 pm

I'm hoping that the reason its taken so long for SSD drives so long to come to market, and at a premium over USB flash is that more development has gone into improving the lifetimes of these products.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:32 pm

Hard drives in my experience, someteims have depressingly short lives.

The correct solution IMO is not to trust the media. Even at the layer of only a track going bad or a few bits in the SSD, we need filesystems that account for this.

Solaris ZFS seems to be one of the first with the idea of checksums when data is read, so you catch problems on the media as they happen. Hopefully this idea will percolate into other OS and filesystems as well. You just can't trust storage media, it's amazing we have worked this way for so long.

Stereodude

Post by Stereodude » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Nick Geraedts wrote:Will SSD drives be limited to a finite number of read/writes? From my experience, exisiting hard drive technology (when built properly) has the potential for a longer working lifetime than a USB flash drive.
Yes, but with proper wear-leveling (part of the drives firmware) and disabling of the Window swap file they will last a really long time (years and years).

Stereodude

Re: 16GB SSD RiDATA MSRP $170

Post by Stereodude » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:28 pm

pipperoni wrote:This looks promising! Hopefully a small but competitive market will develop for SSD drives. There are a ton of computers that could still easily run on 16GB.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5645
Transcend makes 2, 4, and 8GB models already, but the pricing isn't very good. My HTPC could run from the 4GB or 8GB models. However the 2.5" Toshiba 4200RPM HD in it now isn't the noisiest part so there's no point replacing it for solid state. The Zalman VF900 @5V seems to be the noisiest part.